'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, November 21, 2016

Mr. K's Used Book Store

First day of deer season was on Saturday here in Tennessee. Of course the rain we've been praying for came that morning! Along with cold temps and lots of wind! But that doesn't deter those hunters. So my friend Gay and I just had ourselves a girl's day out. She told me about a used/new bookstore I did not know about in Johnson City and we met there. Heaven, I was in heaven! Two floors, clean, organized and a whole aisle of just mystery! And today everything in the store was 25% off!

I got 12 books, one was a Christmas gift for my granddaughter. She wants the new Harry Potter book that just came out, And the Cursed Child, which is a play not a novel. We went to Barnes and Noble to look for it last week and it is only out in hardback and it was $29.99!!!! I couldn't make myself buy it. Sorry authors, but there's no way I'm paying that for a new book. Glad I didn't, because K's had one there used, read once, for $18.99 and then 25% off. So she's getting it for Christmas after all!

Here's my haul...

1. The Cadaver of Gideon Wyck by Alexander Laing    set in Maine and the cover caught my attention, It's a Collier Books
2. A Stranger in My Grave by Margaret Millar and when I got home I discovered I already have it. I like this cover much better though.
3. The Judas Window by Carter Dickson
4. Three's a Crowd by Doris Miles Disney
5. The Corpse with Sticky Fingers by George Bagby
6. The Sibyl in Her Grave by Sarah Caudwell   this one was on my Amazon wishlist!
7. Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker  this one was on my wishlist too.
8. Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan
9. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley  I know I've already read this but I thought Isa might like to read it.
10. Slip of the Knife by Denise Mina
11. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling
12. Tennessee Gardner's Guide   we'll be doing landscaping next year.

Here are a few books I picked up within the last month...



Black-Headed Pins by Constance and Gwenyth Little   I love their books, a little slapstick on the side.
The Walk Down Main Street by Ruth Moore   my favorite Maine writer.
The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie   this isn't a nice copy, the back cover is missing but its readable.
The House on the Cliff by D.E. Stevenson

We had lunch at Sahib, Gay's first encounter with Indian food! We had the buffet so we got to try lots of dishes. Bossman didn't get a deer, didn't even see one. He did talk to another hunter that said he saw no deer either, but he did see a bear with two cubs! I haven't heard from Gay to see if her hubby and grandson got one or not.

Peggy Ann

8 comments:

  1. What a fun day you and Gay had. It sounds like a perfect outing to me as I like to go into used book stores too. Thanks for sharing your day and the books you found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering, do the hunters consume the venison from the deer they shoot?
    [Valerie]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Valerie. My husband is not an avid hunter and has only gotten 2 deer in his life and we ate them. My brother in law with 2 kids gets 2-3 every year and they never buy meat from the grocery store. Helps them a lot on their grocery bills. It's kind of like woman baking bread and feeling great about providing that for their family. All the hunters I know get a great sense of providing food on the table. Hunting also helps control the deer population. It's very well monitored here in the States.

      Delete
  3. There are so many authors there that I've never even heard of so I'll be very interested to find out what you think of them - when you get around to them!
    I'm so glad they didn't get any deer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I don't think he cares. He just loves being in the woods all day! If he gets one I cook it and we eat it, if he doesn't, it doesn't hurt my feelings!

      Delete
  4. Well, good answer about the hunting. It doesn't come up in New York City!

    You are so lucky to have that gigantic bookstore close by. What fun to walk up and down aisles and look at and through books. Just the thought is making me smile.

    And buying your grandchild books is so good. What a gift to give to children, the love of reading and opening up presents that are books just for them.

    Finished Coffin Road, which was good and I miss the Outer Hebrides once again since I finished the Lewis trilogy in the spring.

    Have you seen the TV series set on the coast of Newfoundland in the 1800's, "Random Passages." It's quite interesting and full of wonderful characters. Women get their due, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, we have a couple bookstores like that here! We couldn't have picked a better place to live! And there is one even bigger about an hour away in Knoxville I have yet to get to! Do you not have used bookstores in New York City? I would have thought you would.

      Both my boys were big readers. I thought the grandkids weren't going to be, as they were more interested in 'devices'. But just late starters, Isa, my granddaughter all of a sudden starting reading ferociously and big books too. Ian is just starting to enjoy reading at 8.

      I did see Random Passage and absolutely loved it! Newfoundland is on my want to go to list now that we are retired! You know that was made from a book by Newfoundland author, Bernice Morgan, don't you? And there is a sequel Waiting for Time. I read both of them too.

      I think Coffin Road will be my first book for 2017 so it will count for the challenge. Doing Read Scotland again. I have it set up on Goodreads so far. It seems more popular there than on the blog. I'll be posting soon about it on the blog.


      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...