'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, October 3, 2016

While I was in Scotland...

This happened while I was in Scotland!





After I got home they poured the concrete floor






They put a sealer on the top of it when they were finished and it looked like glass. It will protect it from things like oil soaking down into the cement.  The garage door was installed a couple days after this. Bossman has been busy digging a ditch all around it to lay the drainage pipes down to draw the rain away from the building. Hard red clay, tough work! Then we have to get the parking pads and turn around laid in front of the garage.

Still mucking around with my kitchen cabinets! The installer FINALLY came and finished up the mistakes he made and replaced a couple warped doors and left me with a crooked door and loose hinge and several hole where screws were that need patched. I've been so frustrated! Went down and told management today that if its not fixed QUICKLY they can come get all their cabinets and refund me my money. Once the kitchen is painted and the new light fixtures are in I'll share before and after photos. The bathroom is just about done too. Have one cabinet to get in and then I'll post those before and afters. Then we're done for the winter! Next spring, a new back porch and landscaping. I thought retirement was suppose to be relaxing?!! I've been exhausted since last December!

I'm trying to come up with a name for the house. Any suggestions?

Peggy Ann

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your kitchen cabinets problems. It sort of takes the fun out of renovation. I hope the company steps up and makes sure you're completely happy. It would be nice if they'd refund some of your money, too! Keep complaining. Threaten to make their name public on your blog. I know you have a lot of readers, some of whom might like to be forewarned about this company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are looking great Peggy! I am sure you will be so happy when all is done! I know the feeling. We have building our house for about 7 years now. Yep, that's right . . . 7 years. We moved in about 5 years ago so basically we have been living in a construction zone all that time. But we plan to be finished by the end of this year. I told my husband that I won't know how to live not having some project with the house to work on. I wouldn't recommend it to the normal person. But if you're abnormal like us then go for it. lol! Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished projects. Good Luck!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and maybe this will help you pick a name for your new home.

    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/586565/Top-50-house-names-Britain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your new garage/workshop. Sometimes it seems that you can never have too many outbuildings! My husband is making very slow progress on finishing our kitchen and other home projects. We used to get things done so much more quickly than we do now. I thought it would be the opposite, but too much life getting in the way....
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, we're having issues with the neighbor across the street over the garage! I am so stressed out! He's threatened Dave.

      Delete
  5. Scotland is absolutely beautiful as shown in your lovely photos. And the narrative is interesting, too.

    Since I suggested a name for your truck, Nessie (short for Tennessee, also a link to the Loch Ness monster, nicknamed Nessie), thought I'd try to assist with some ideas for the house's name.

    Thought of some places in Scotland that you visited: The first suggestion is "Skye," as it's a beautiful isle. Then "Solway." Although Eyemouth is a favorite, didn't think it's a good house name. Then since you love the Irish Sea, and you were able to stand in it, thought of "Logan," after the port's name.

    There's also naming it after a bird of flower in your yard or neighborhood.

    But since you pulled up stakes and left your house, town, and community and made a fresh start with everything, I thought of "Hope." New environment, new friends, looking forward to new experiences. And your blog posts about your new home are always optimistic and hopeful, even when there is work to be done and frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, Scotland is wonderful and the people so friendly. Thanks for the name suggestions. I love the Hope idea and I've decided on Mountain Hope!

      Delete
  6. Also, a book by a Scottish author, Graeme McCrae Burnet, has been shortlisted for the Man Booker prize. It is historical crime fiction, and is called "His Bloody Project."

    I just read a rave review of it at Crime Segments blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just ordered it Kathy! Looking forward to reading it!

      Delete
  7. Maybe Mount Hope would be better, says the same thing but shorter.

    I can't wait to read your review of Burnet's book. I just read that he went to Bloody Scotland, gosh, would I love to attend that festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won the Booker Prize and this is his first book. My author friends there were quite impressed. I'd love to go to Bloody Scotland too someday! There are so many book and author events in Scotland, Kathy. More so than here. You'd love it there!

      Delete
  8. I've been reading more books set in Scotland than ever. I read the Peter May Lewis Trilogy this year and loved it.

    Also, Cathy Cole at Kittling Books has posted wonderful photos of Scotland from her travels and links to photos of amazing scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that you've been having a problem with your neighbour. I know what you mean about retirement, nearly three years into it for us - we don't know how Jack ever had time to work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...