'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, September 9, 2016

Two for Friday

Book Beginnings on Friday hosted by Rose City Reader.
Share the first sentence or two of the current book your reading along with your first impressions.

Reading The Quarry Wood by Nan Shepherd, a Scottish book given to me while I was just there. Published in 1928.

Martha Ironside was nine years old when she kicked her grand-aunt Josephine. At nineteen she loved the old lady, idly perhaps, in her natural humor, as she loved the sky and space. At twenty-four, when Miss Josephine Leggett died, aged seventy-nine and reluctant, Martha knew that it was she who had taught her wisdom; thereby proving - she reflected - that man does not learn from books alone; because Martha had kicked Aunt Josephine (at the age of nine) for taking her from her books.

Also joining in over at Freda's Voice with The Friday 56 where you grab a book and turn to page 56 or 56% on an reader, find any sentence and post it.

From the same book..
One must not throw away a fact. Knowledge grew sweeter the more one ate of it. Sharp-flavored too, though, acrid at times upon the palate.

This is a story of a young woman's journey to maturity and independence, her high ideals, and a slowly growing awareness of her passionate nature. I'm captured by the writing style and lovely prose in this book. Ms. Shepherd has a wonderful way with words. There are lots of Scots words throughout this book.

Peggy Ann

9 comments:

  1. I am drawn to books about journeys....those that lead to maturity, independence, and perhaps, the discovery of one's true self. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “GIRL ON THE RUN”

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting and I love books as souvenirs. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost always enjoy coming-of-age books, and this sounds like a good one. I like the Scottish setting too.
    My Friday post features CHESTNUT STREET by Maeve Binchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds interesting. I'm glad you are enjoying it. This week I am spotlighting Project Elfhome by Wen Spencer - a linked short story collection. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checked page 56 of my current read....fairly bland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way it sounds! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not my style but I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...