'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, September 12, 2016

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd by Alan Bradley

Published by: Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine
Delacorte Press
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Flavia de Luce Mystery #8
Hardcover: 320 pages
ISBN: 9780345539960
Publication Date: September 20, 2016
My Source: Netgalley

In spite of being ejected from Miss Bodycote's Female Academy in Canada, twelve-year-old Flavia de Luce is excited to be sailing home to England. But instead of a joyous homecoming, she is greeted on the docks with unfortunate news: Her father has fallen ill, and a hospital visit will have to wait while he rests. But with Flavia's blasted sisters and insufferable cousin underfoot, Buckshaw now seems both too empty—and not empty enough. Only too eager to run an errand for the vicar's wife, Flavia hops on her trusty bicycle, Gladys, to deliver a message to a reclusive wood-carver. Finding the front door ajar, Flavia enters and stumbles upon the poor man's body hanging upside down on the back of his bedroom door. The only living creature in the house is a feline that shows little interest in the disturbing scene. Curiosity may not kill this cat, but Flavia is energized at the prospect of a new investigation. It's amazing what the discovery of a corpse can do for one's spirits. But what awaits Flavia will shake her to the very core.

Flavia, one of my very favorite book characters is growing up! Alan Bradley has done a nice job of keeping Flavia the sweet irascible girl we love, but showing signs she is growing up. I was a bit worried about that. She can't stay 11 forever. She is 12 in this book. Her father is very ill in this one and every time she thinks she is going to get to go see him something comes up (like murder) and she misses the visit to the hospital. Remember she's been away for a year in Canada at school so she hasn't seen him in a long time. Will she ever get up to the hospital? Will her father recover? Will Alan Bradley write more Flavia books or is this one the end? PLEASE WRITE MORE! I want to see Flavia grow into adulthood!

I would love to see this series made into a movie! I think it would be fantastic and a big success. What is there not to love about  Flavia? What do you think, should it be made into a movie? Do you think it will be made into a movie? Want to see the odds if it will or won't?

Get this book!
Amazon US
Barnes and Noble
Book Depository
IndieBound


Peggy Ann


SaveSave

12 comments:

  1. So many members of my mystery group love this series. I have only read the first book and think I need to try again with it. Somehow, it was a favorite of mine when we read the original book. It's more a series that I 'want to like and read'. I do think that it would make a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I started off reading these on audio book and it was delightful that way! Got me hooked. The narrator had a wonderful English voice and made Flavia come alive. If you can, read them that way!

      Delete
  2. I tried to read the first one and found the characters totally unlikable. Maybe I should try again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not be for you Audra. I really learned to love Flavia, Dogger and the Inspector. Even Cynthia the grumbly vicars wife grows on you. Her family leaves a lot to be desired though😜

      Delete
  3. I just skim read that as I'll be reading it myself soon I hope. I agree with you, somebody should make a film based on these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BBC was suppose to be having a series of it this year. Don't know what's up with that.

      Delete
  4. I don't let myself read them - HAVE to listen to Jayne Entwistle (?) i think that is her name. i love her voice! She IS Flavia. So I have to listen to the books instead of read them. I have several friends who tried the series and didn't care for it and I told them to listen instead of read and I really am sure they will love Flavia then. I think we all hope the series will continue, even though I think he has said this is the last one? that would be so sad! I didn't care for the one in Canada as much. I love the set of characters with her beautiful home and her family, and it just wasn't as fun without all those characters around her. I've pre-ordered my Audible book : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie there is one link above that goes to an article with Bradley and says there will be 10 books. That's his plan anyway. 2 more to go then! I thought the same about the Canadian one too. I missed Dogger! And Gladys!

      Delete
  5. I do think that these would make good movies. If they did it right of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they have to get the perfect Flavia!

      Delete
  6. I've read all the Flavia books, Peggy Ann, and like some more than others. But I wasn't very taken with the last one (where she went to school in Canada), in fact, I mistook it for the last in the series. Couldn't see where the author would go next with the character. So when I saw that I was wrong and that there would be another book, I was kind of taken aback. But I'm on the library waiting list because most any Flavia is better than none. :) P.S. I have a crush on her father. I hope he survives.

    A movie or even a mini-series would be wonderful - but only if made by the Brits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvette, supposedly there is a series in the 'formative' stages. One episode for each book. Last mention I can find though was an Alan Bradley interview in January 2015. Sam Mendes of Neal Street Productions has optioned it. He did Call the Midwife for BBC. I thought it was coming out in 2015 but still waiting. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/director-sam-mendes-options-flavia-de-luce-mystery-series/article4105667/

      I didn't like the Canada one either but I guess it gave us the background on her mother. I love her best at Buckshaw with all the other characters. I will miss her when the books are done!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...