'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, September 15, 2016

Books from Scotland

I was amazed at how much self-discipline I had while in Scotland! I only brought home 17 books and one of those was for someone else. Katrina tried to give me a beautiful copy of Five Red Herrings by Dorothy Sayers with a gorgeous map of Kirkcudbright, where the story is set and we had just visited. But I have a copy already and was afraid to add anymore books! Now I regret not sticking it in my carry-on! It was already so heavy! Jack gave me a copy of The Quarry Wood by Nan Shepard and I couldn't turn that down!  I was allowed 23kg in my one checked bag and it weighed 23kg! I also left behind a copy of an Enid Blyton book I picked up in Eyemouth. Last minute packing you tend to get a little worried and envision yourself unloading your luggage at the check in counter.

Katrina picked up a British Library Crime Classic copy of Antidote to Venom by Freeman Wills Crofts and discovered she had it already so she gave it to me. I had bought Death and the Pleasant Voices while there and read it and left it with Katrina. Katrina also gave me a lovely hardback copy of Georgette Heyer's mystery No Wind of Blame. Also found a nice small old copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's Catriona, the sequel to Kidnapped. 

My favorite finds are the gorgeous copy, with perfect dust cover, of A.J. Cronin's A Song of Six Pence and the Compton MacKenzie's The Passionate Elopement. Ten of my books go on my Scottish bookshelf, written by Scots or about Scotland! 




Peggy Ann
SaveSave
Save

6 comments:

  1. Oh Peggy, you got some real gems there! What a lovely haul. I've read The Lake District Murders and thought it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed at how you managed to stop yourself from even going into bookshops after a while! You can pick up Five Red Herrings next time if you want. There are some great book covers there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can't believe I did it either! But I had too. Couldn't do 54 books again!

      Delete
  3. Wow, those are some really nice books. So glad you made room for my book. You are so sacrificing. I would definitely say that leaving behind a book to carry a book for someone else rates up there with donating a kidney! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...