'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, July 7, 2016

Margaret Page Hood


I discovered Margaret Page Hood over @ My Reader's Block when Bev reviewed it. Maine is one of my favorite settings and her review really made me want this book. I ended up just getting all 5 of the mysteries Hood wrote set in Maine. There wasn't anything on Margaret Page Hood online, All I could find was what was written about her on the inside covers of her books...

No one since Sarah Orne Jewett has captured the savory sights and sounds of Maine's rockbound islands as vividly as Margaret Page Hood, who's work has been acclaimed as ranking among "the best local color writing to be found in any contemporary regional fiction." Before moving to Las Cruces, New Mexico, she came to know the Maine countryside thoroughly and affectionately during the many years she lived "in a century-old house built by a sea captain on Lane's Island, an infinitesimal dot connected to Vinalhaven by an ancient stone bridge in Penobscot Bay." There she spent her days making hooked rugs, preparing fish chowder and writing four earlier novels of suspense, all set on the Maine coast and featuring one of America's favorite sleuths, Sheriff Gil Donan: The Silent Women, The Scarlet Thread, In the Dark Night (also titled The Murders on Fox Island), The Bell on Lonely and Drown the Wind. Sheriff Donan has also appeared in the pages of the Ladies' Home Journal and other magazines and also on television in Studio One's presentation of The Silent Women.

Aren't these lovely covers? I had to handle The Silent Women with care as the pages wanted to come loose.
It's a 1953 Dell paperback.  The Murders on  Fox Island will be the same.

Drown the Wind was even signed by the author!


Bev was right The Silent Women was excellent! I'm reading the second in the series, The Scarlet Thread, now. Sheriff Gil Donan is a great character. Review of The Silent Women tomorrow!

Peggy Ann

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, intriguing. So I checked the Toronto Public Library. 1 book only, The Silent Women, in the reference stacks (aka, readable on site only).

    You obtained all 5 at once? Quite a leap of faith, and apparently rewarded. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking these out as I've always wanted to go to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More books to go on my TBR shelf! My husband was born in Maine and spent his early years there. It has been the location for several family reunions, and I love what I have seen of it. You find the best books!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...