'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Clingman's Dome

Ever been to Clingman's Dome at the top of the Smoky Mountains? No , well come on up with us.
I was quite surprised to see that it is one of the three highest peaks east of the Mississippi, even higher than Mt. Washington in New Hampshire! I thought that was really high! Clingman's Dome has it beat by 400+ ft.! Mt. Washington has a weather observatory at the peak and has some of the wickedest weather ever that changes rapidly. It is 6,288 ft. compared to Clingman's Dome's 6,643 ft., highest point in the Smokies, in Tennessee and on the Appalachian Trail. Click on the pics to enlarge.



ramp to the viewing tower 


Isa and Paul resting in the tower
Viewing tower











Slate Gray or Dark Eyed Junco the only type Junco found in the eastern US

This tree was interesting, if you enlarge it you can see that even though it looks dead there is one spot of new growth on it. Tough old tree won't give up. The balsam woolly adelgid came through the Smokies a while back and killed the fraser firs. It was quite creepy up on the Dome when they were all dead. It was nice to see lots of new growth this time, although as you drive through the Smokies you see lots of dead trees still. Here's a nice write up on the trees and what assails them if your interested. The hemlock woolly adelgid is now killing off the hemlocks in the park. I have one hemlock in my yard and my son, Paul, who is an arborist, showed me that it has the adelgids all over it too :(

Next up a trip to Mingo Falls!

Peggy Ann

2 comments:

  1. The photos are beautiful, did you hike all the way up there?
    I've not heard of that tree disease, it seems that the trees are getting attacked all over the world, by disease and bugs. I hope Paul can advise you on what trees to put in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You drive up to a parking lot and then walk the last 1/2 mile on a paved walkway. Of course there are trails through the mountain for the stout of heart! The Appalachian Trail for one. The steep paved walk way is enough for me!

      We did discuss trees and plants, Katrina. My lovely Crimson King Norway maple is very sick and he said he would recommend cutting it down. It was so beautiful last fall. This year dead. He showed me where to plant new trees so the electric co. Won't come by and cut into them for their lines too. I'm looking at cooper beech for the front yard!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...