'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, May 6, 2016

Starling Thoroughfare

We have so many birds here it's unbelievable. I am turning into a bird nut. Each morning armed with my coffee, binoculars, bird book and camera I head out for the backyard and sit and watch the birds. We didn't have this many different varieties back home in Pennsylvania. Maybe because we had so many crows?  It sounds like an aviary in early morning. I have 3 feeders and two suet feeders out now. I want to get a platform feeder for the dove's. Have a listen...



We have loads of Starlings here and we seem to be on their main road between our neighborhood and the golf course at the back of our property. Constantly back and forth over our heads zooming across the sky. Their always in the yard feeding. We must have wonderful soil for good bugs and worms! We have Robins, Starlings, Mockingbirds, Thrashers and Woodpeckers galore!  The Thrasher is my favorite. I got a really got shot of him for you. Here's a collage of some of the birds that frequent our yard, The large pic is the Thrasher...

Top right to bottom and left...
Cardinal, Mourning Dove, Bluebird, Bluejay, Carolina Chickadee, Starling, House Finch, Tufted Titmouse, Purple Martin, Mockingbird, Downy Woodpecker. Missing are the Robin, American Goldfinch, Cowbird, Common Grackle and Pileated Woodpecker. The Pileated Woodpecker is huge, black back and red tufted head. He isn't around all the time but occasionally he shows up on the electric pole. It's thrilling to see him! There is a hawk in the neighborhood too. He gets the baby bunnies sometimes. The one that was always in the yard is gone now. Hope he just hopped off to new ground and the hawk didn't get him!

 This is a mockingbird, he sits on this wire in this exact spot everyday and sings to beat the band. They have a beautiful song with so many sounds to it as they mimic other birds. Their somewhat of a bully but I love to hear them so they are gladly welcome here! I just hope he's not sitting there when a transformer blows or something, fried mockingbird :0


This is the Downy Woodpecker, male on the left with the red spot on his head, and the female on the right. They love the suet and are in and out constantly!

This is the male House Finch. 
 I love that the finches and the cardinals are always in pairs, male and female.

And today two baby squirrels showed up! The one big one that has been here must have had a nest up in the tree at the back of the yard!

With the mountains in the front and all these birds in the back, I'm totally content to be home!
The mountains are greening up. Its interesting to watch them slowly turn green from the bottom to the top. I think the elevation over there is something like 4,500 feet. Not really sure.



This was early Wednesday morning. The fog in the foothills.



Make a great day!

Peggy Ann

11 comments:

  1. You live in such a beautiful place! I'd never take my eyes off the mountains. And I'm envious of all your birds. Bluebirds are one of my favorites. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, my late father, a cabinetmaker by trade, was part of a movement to make and erect bluebird houses. The birds were disappearing because the fence posts they nested in were being taken down. We saw many different kinds when we lived in the country in MA, but here in Philly, we consider a mourning dove exotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely place, here, Joan. No matter where you drive to its gorgeous getting there! Next year I want to put up a bluebird house and get a gourd or two for the purple martins. The neighbor has a beautiful natural gourd bird house and he has a purple martin nest in it! All these insect eating birds are great to have around!

      Delete
  2. Peggy...that's so sweet! You landed in the perfect spot for you...didn't you? Den and I hope to realize our perfect spot soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Patty! Sadly though not a great shopping or restaurant area. We have to go to Johnson City or Knoxville for that.

      Delete
  3. So lovely! Thank you for sharing as I loved the photos and the birds chirping and singing. I always read your blog though I don't always comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candyce! I'm glad to have you and do enjoy your comments.

      Delete
  4. Such a great post! I loved hearing the bird "music" while reading. I used to keep several feeders out, but it is a constant battle with the many squirrels we have and our cats who are good at killing the birds. I'm still trying to find solutions!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, it is hard if you have cats. My ex-mother-in-law quit feeding the birds because she felt like she was luring them to their death. Of course with all these birds, poop is a problem! Bossman is not happy with the birds and didn't want feeders at all. I think he enjoys watching them though. I just have to be diligent cleaning up after them!

      Delete
  5. Lovely post about the birds in your area, Peggy. I grew up in Alabama, and my father loved birds. He was never a bird watcher exactly, but he did give talks to Boy Scouts about birds in the area and tree identification.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm envious too. You have been so lucky with your choice of new home. Just remind D of how many more bugs you would have if you didn't have so many birds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're enjoying your new home and the surrounding area so much... it's beautiful! I've been drawn to birds, especially shore birds, in FL too. I love pelicans!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...