'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Remember Davy Crockett?

Plaques with States names on them















Right up the road in Limestone is the birthplace of Davy Crockett. The actual cabin is long since gone but they've built a replica and made a State Park at the site. We walked around there Sunday after the flea market. It's a very nice little park. The homestead, a swimming pool, playground and small campground. Lots of nice picnic areas and shelters too. The park sits beside the Nolichuckey River. 

Davy's grandparents were among the families to join the western migration into the Appalachian Mountain region. Settling in what we now know as Eastern Tennessee in 1775. With the influx of the White man Indian hostilities grew and in 1777 (referred to as the terrible sevens) Davy's grandparents were killed by Indians in Rogersville TN. His father John escaped and became one of Isaac Shelby's rangers and fought with hundreds of other Overmountain Men to defeat the British and the Tories at The Battle of Kings Mountain. Click on the links if you'd like to read up on the history of these things!

Davy was born in Limestone, TN on August 17, 1786, three years after we won our independence from Britain.  He was born into extreme poverty and danger, the inheritance of every frontier family of the time, post Revolutionary War.  He was fifth of nine children.








This is interior shots of the cabin. Thats pretty much the whole downstairs! Then there's a loft upstairs for sleeping. Can't imagine a whole family living in such close quarters! Talk about getting on each others nerves!

 

I imagine this is the baking oven and what must be a target for practicing shooting?

 


This area was inhabited by the Cherokee in the early 1700's. The British insisted it was part of the colony of North Carolina. In 1784 the region was included in the formation of the State of Franklin which only lasted until 1789 and by 1796 became part of the new state of Tennessee.

There are several nice signs with info on them at the park like this one charting his westward movements across the state. Of course he ended up in TX dying at the Alamo.


I think this will be a nice park for us to frequent for simple picnics and walks.  There really is a lot of history here. Looking forward to discovering it all!

Peggy Ann

8 comments:

  1. So interesting! It makes me realize a tiny house is not a new concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tennessee has such interesting places. I did not know that Davy Crockett was born there.

    My husband recently heard of McKay's bookstores in Tennessee. Have you seen one / been to one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Tracy! I had not heard or seen one before but went in search. There are 3 in TN. Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville which is about one hour from me!!! They have a website with photos, zillions of books and so organized!! I feel a day trip coming on.....http://www.mckaybooks.com/#!photo-gallery/c129l Thanks! Kiss your husband for me!

      Delete
  3. Great photos. You just keep finding more and more of interest nearby, I think you struck gold moving there! My eldest brother wore a Davy Crockett hat for a long time as a kid, even sleeping with it on apparently. I think there must have been a film about Crockett out in the 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we did too! Amazing you all loved Davy Crockett over there! Paul had a hat when he was little too!

      Delete
  4. Fascinating! What a wonderful place and yes, Katrina there was a film in the 1950s. I saw it in the 1960s when I was on holiday one year with my best friend from school. As soon as I saw your post title Peggy I immediately thought about that - and the song Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier. I think the film was called that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I've been going around singing that song since we went to his homestead! Only I couldn't remember for the life of me 'what of the Wild Frontier' and was saying man for lack of a better word. Thanks so much for filling that in for me!

      Delete
  5. I loved this! Aren't you lucky to live so close! I have a book, which I haven't read yet (story of my life!) called David Crockett: The Lion of the West by Michael Wallis. I first heard of it on Book TV years ago, and I found the video online if you'd like to watch it. The author is a wonderful speaker. http://www.c-span.org/video/?300869-1/book-discussion-david-crockett-lion-west

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...