'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, April 4, 2016

Flea Markets

Morristown
There seems to be flea markets everywhere here! This weekend we went to two of them. The ones here seem to be full of people selling 'stuff' instead of vendors selling new things like T-shirts, socks, one size fits all dresses or candles/incense. My kind of place! Lots of junk to look through in hopes of a treasure. Treasure: not necessarily worth anything, just sweet to me!! And it usually doesn't take much to please me. I don't collect anything because it has 'value'. I just want things around me that make me smile when I look at them. You might look at it and say 'Is she crazy?'

Jonesborough
Someone asked me if I got any fleas at the flea market and it started me wondering why they are called that in the first place. It's an English translation from the French 'Le marchĂ© aux puces' (literately market of the fleas) a name originally given to a market in Paris which specialized in shabby second-hand goods of the kind that probably contained fleas. A true Flea Market isn't antique dealers or portable store fronts, but a place where people come to try to make a few extra dollars.

I got a big tub of Tinkertoys for $5 for the grandkids to play with when they are here. I had picked a couple small sets up at yard sales before and they seem to really enjoy them. This set has all kinds of fancy pieces in it.

We were looking for some kind of small table to put in the shower room Bossman is putting in the basement, (before and after pics coming soon!) and found a really nice little wooden one. But by the time we got home I confiscated it for upstairs. It's a lovely old wooden table and I couldn't bear to think of it hidden in the bowels of the basement! Besides it was a lovely place to set the old picnic basket I found! We picked up a little wooden bench at another junk store for the shower room  and thats good enough with some hooks on the wall.


I came across this listing of flea markets in TN. I'm sure some of these will be store type vendors but we enjoy roaming around anyway. Even if we don't buy a thing. We're retired!

What is your best find at a flea market or boot sale or whatever they call them where your from?

Peggy Ann

7 comments:

  1. You did well at that flea market! I think that kind is usually called a car boot sale in the UK nowadays. I've never had much luck at car boot sales, but haven't been to many.
    They steam clean the clothes in charity shops so that any fleas are done in! I bought a white china rabbit jelly mould last week - charity shop purchase though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! I don't blame you for wanting to keep it where you can see and enjoy it more. I used to garage sale every weekend and furnished most of my house and those of my children with the treasures I found.
    I've never tried flea markets, but I'd love to someday.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love garage sales, thrift stores, and flea markets, Paula!

      Delete
  3. That table is lovely. The flea markets look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is such a nice aspect of living in a rural area. I don't see flea markets where I live, but there are thrift shops and charity shops, which raise funds for a good cause.

    I have some nice old pieces of furniture that were given to me. Two were in poor shape, but a coat of walnut stain and new knobs and they looked almost like new. Another piece I also stained as it was wearing down, but I replaced the glass knobs and it was quite nice.

    When I went to college in Vermont, two older brothers had barn sales of tables of stuff, a lot of it junk, but someone would find a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...