'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, March 30, 2016

History at the Library

I was up at the library the other day to make some copies. This is a pic of our library. On the side is a 'quilt' piece. It's part of the Quilt Trail. That is a series of painted wood or metal, hung or free standing, quilt squares installed at various locations along a route, emphasizing significant architecture and/or aesthetic landscapes. Currently North America has quilt trails in 43 of the United States as well as in three Canadian provinces. There's going to be a National Quilt Trail Gathering in August here in Greeneville!
Library

I took some pics of the history plaques right there on the property. This first one is about Nelly Van Vactor, born a slave in Virginia, she ended up being a free woman and major property owner in Greeneville! She owned the land the Library now sits on. You can read her story here.

side 1

side 2
Another plaque right here on the library grounds is The Big Spring. Seems the town was settled by Scotch-Irish!



Here's the Big Spring, right behind the library.


Not much, just a taste of Greeneville history! It's a beautiful walking town with history plaques everywhere. Stay tuned for more to come as I explore.

Just a gratuitous mountain picture...

My view as I run to the store or post office :)

Peggy Ann

5 comments:

  1. Glad to learn about this lady who became free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Tea. I was proud of Greeneville. I read somewhere that Greene County was the seat of northern sympathizers during the war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to have found such a lovely and interesting area to settle in. I see the cherry trees are blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing pictures of your new hometown and learning more of the history. I'm just a teensy bit jealous of the gorgeous mountain views☺!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story of Nelly Van Vactor and that she owned the property upon which the library was built. Glad to hear that Greenville was a location for Northern sympathizers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...