'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hanging

There was a large old fashioned mirror hanging above my couch in the living room, left by the previous owner and I was tickled to have it, but it just didn't look right. My grandma had one in her living room when I was a kid so it brought back fond memories. I kept telling Bossman it was up too high. My couch has a somewhat low back. He kept saying no it was just right, he's not moving it! Big hooks were holding it up. I put a pine swag under it trying to 'fix' it. Still just didn't look right and I hated the pine swag!

Saturday we went out looking for dressers and picked up a gorgeous painting that neither of us could resist! Perfect for over the couch! Of course the debate ensued over how high above the couch it should be hung! Bossman wanted it up just as high as the mirror was, what if someone wanted to stretch their arms and hit it, if we put it where I wanted it? It would be knocked off the wall. I told him if someone needs to stretch that much they can sit on the floor! I wanted it about 6-8 inches above the couch. No way he said! So to settle the debate I looked online to see if there was a rule of thumb. Guess what? 5-10 inches above the back of the couch! In the pic they showed there was an 8" space between the back of the couch and the bottom of the painting. Perfect!

Then there was re-measuring and marking and leveling. Now the painting was going to hang just a tad below where the hangers where for the mirror and he'd have to re-paint the wall he just painted! Okay we compromised and put it just below the mirrors marks so they wouldn't show and he wouldn't have to paint and it is 10" above the couch. Still within the 'rule of thumb', but I don't like it.  I'll live with it.

The wall still looks like its missing something though. I've always had groupings so this is really different for me and I think I just need to get use to it. A painting in an art museum is all alone on the wall so you can focus on it. I need to resist the urge to add little things like Home Interior leafs beside it or something :). Maybe that's it, not the distance between the two that I'm not keen on.

If your hanging pictures anytime soon here's the link to 'rule of thumb' that settled our debate!



I should have taken a picture of the before with the mirror! I wasn't thinking. Maybe I'll have him put it back up and take one for you! Nah, let's not and say we did. Trust me it didn't work!

While we're talking about hanging things I might as well show you the curtains we finally found to fit our big window! I love them. They are thermal lined too and gorgeous fabric. Got them at Plow and Hearth.




Peggy Ann

3 comments:

  1. I love that story! I have helped several friends and clients hang pictures, and men always seem to want them higher than they "should" be....When my husband (who is 6'4" and doesn't love putting holes in the walls) and I (who am 5'3") got married, we had this discussion a lot, but he is fine with most things that I prefer, so the pictures are hung at eye level and in relation to whatever is beneath them!

    Love your drapes.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not formally trained, but I have done it with a friend as a small business. I really enjoy doing it, but I've had to set it aside for now because of other responsibilites. My husband and I are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and other home renovations, so I'm keeping my hand in:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...