'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tuesday, Tuesday!

Every Tuesday Diane over @Bibliophile By the Sea host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where we share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book we're reading or thinking about reading soon.









Isn't that a lovely cover! I love it! Katrina gave me this book while I was at her house in Scotland last May. I've decided to read this next instead of the Aline Templeton book because the Templeton book is on my iPad and I'll save it for the last of the year as we will be moving then and it will be easier to lug around books in ebook format than this large hardback. 

Synopsis:
  In the summer of 1914, as the storm clouds of war begin to gather over Europe, life in Glasgow goes on as normal - for the rich in their elegant mansions, and for the poor in the filthy, overcrowded tenements of the Gorbals.
  Up at Hilltop House, home of the wealthy cartwright family, Virginia Watson is a kitchen maid whose life below stairs is an endless round of hardship and drudgery. Back in the Gorbals, her family are fighting a losing battle against bad housing, hunger and disease, while her father and brothers, unable to find work, dream of the revolution that John Maclean and the other 'Red Clydesiders' promise will be their salvation.
  Everything changes for Virginia after a chance meeting with Nicholas Cartwright, a dashing young army officer and heir to the Cartwright fortune. But their illicit romance, defying all the conventions of the time, has hardly begun when war breaks out and Nicholas leaves to face the horrors of the Western Front.
  A powerful tale of love and loss, The Clydesiders is also a brilliant portrayal of Glasgow during the First World War, skillfully evoking the atmosphere of the city and the lives of its people as they witness some of the most dramatic events of the twentieth century.

Chapter one...
Virginia Watson wasn't allowed to be seen, far less talk to anyone-upstairs, that was. Down in the basement kitchen, talk was permitted to a certain extent. High up under the rafter, in the attic bedroom with Fanny Gordon, the scullery maid, she could talk as long as she could keep awake. Fanny didn't call it their bedroom. To her it was a dark and dismal cell. Fourteen-year-old Fanny, who was two years younger than Virginia and now shared the lumpy iron bedstead with her, had come from a cottage. There she had slept in an attic with her three sisters.

'All right, we were crowded top-to-tail in the one bed, but the attic there was bright and cosy. At night we had two candles. Not like here! Mrs. Cartwright must have pots of housekeeping money, and fancy, she's had gas put in all her rooms, but we've to make do with one wee candle.' Fanny pouted. 'Rotten mean, that's what ugly old Mrs. Cartwright is. I hate her, so I do.'

What do you think, keep reading or not?



Pg. 141

'No, James. Not tonight.'
'I've been looking forward to this all day. It's all that's kept me going. Coming home to you.'
She was barely able to whisper, 'All right.'



Teaser Tuesday is hosted by Miz B @ A Daily Rhythm. Post two sentences from somewhere in a book you're reading. No spoilers, please!

29 comments:

  1. Sounds like a hard life.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading this and the rest in the series, Sherry. We'll see what was so hard about her day!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like she has a hard time of it. Hope he can turn things around for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the gorgeous cover and how you got the book. Wonderful! Now I am eager to learn more about the characters. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “ICE COLD”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing teaser. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine from a non-fiction book about girls in Afghanistan: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-10B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just flipped the book open and that was there and I got a chuckle out of it!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your move! I hate moving with a passion--especially the packing. I like the intro you shared; it does sound like a hard life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to the adventure of moving to a new state but your right, the packing and organizing to get there is the pits!

      Delete
  6. I'm sold - to be honest the cover had me but I really like this time period and the opening paragraph had enough detail for me to want to know more - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a Scottish Upstairs, Downstairs, Cleo!

      Delete
  7. I agree about the lovely cover, and I like the sound of this one. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was there a happy ending? It sounds awfully grim. The teaser on my adult blog comes from The Bad Boy CEO by Sugar Jamison. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know yet Kathy, watch for the review! Its the first in a series too!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping over Donna. I'm off to your place now.

      Delete
  10. Very different cover and story; thanks for joining Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a fascinating story. The cover definitely makes me want to look inside, and Chapter One makes me wonder what will happen to these two servant girls. I think I'd like this story.
    My Tuesday post features Emma Knows All.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, if you like Upstairs, Downstairs type stories this one is for you!

      Delete
  12. The cover is attention getting for sure. I think I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it Peggy. My mum was a big fan of Margaret Thomson Davis, I'm sure she read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am definitely interested! This gets good reviews on Goodreads, too.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this new-to-me author and title. I have family in that part of Scotland, so I'll be putting this book on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To be honest, I wouldn't keep reading. Maybe if I did, based on the synopsis, I may actually enjoy it but I have an impossibly long TBR list as it is, this one just isn't intriguing enough to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the cover. Sounds like a good book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...