'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, November 5, 2015

Jane Langton: Shelf Control #3


Back cover...
suspenseful, superbly atmospheric mystery that explodes the shadowy side of a sunlit vacation paradise...

It was a dark moment on Nantucket in more ways than one. an eclipse of the sun turned the daytime into chillingly unnatural night, and when the light returned. the most beautiful woman on the island lay dead in a pool of blood. Down-home Yankee sleuth Homer Kelly has to prove the innocence of a sexually betrayed girl with every reason to kill, and he has to discover who among the rick and righteous Nantucket upper crust descended to the depths of murder. With striking line drawings by the author to heighten the sense of very special place. Dark Nantucket Noon is a gem that will keep lights burning until dawn.

I picked this book up at The Book Rack in Kingsport, TN. There were 2 others there by her and since I had never read anything by her before I decided to just pick up the one. I'm really wishing I had bought them now.

She is also an wonderful artist and this mystery is just littered with lovely drawings by her. The story looks really good too. I'm excited to read it, but probably won't get to it until after the first of the year. I'll be going back to The Book Rack and hopefully the other two will still be there!







Have any of you read anything by her before? What were your thoughts?



Shelf Control is all about the books we want to read — and already own! Consider this a variation of a Wishing & Waiting post… but looking at books already available, and in most cases, sitting right there on our shelves and e-readers.

Want to participate in Shelf Control? 
Write a blog post about a book that you own but haven't gotten around to reading yet. 
Post a link to it @ Bookshelf Fantasies Shelf Control 


Peggy Ann

13 comments:

  1. I love Jane Langton. She's a New England writer and I love that I know all the places she talks about, I love her characters. I've read all her books. I definitely hope you can buy some others of hers. I see them all the time in the used book stores I frequent, so they shouldn't be hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, if I can't find them in shops there's always online!

      Delete
  2. I've always enjoyed Jane Langton's books. She can create highly sympathetic characters, and her stories are as much about the people as the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love character driven stories, Susan, so I think I love these!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this author before. The book looks great, and I love the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved her children's books when I was young, starting with A Diamond in the Window. I've never tried the Homer Kelly series but just might do that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep my eye out for the children's books too, Audra.

      Delete
  5. I read three of the books ... the first three I think, including this one. I have four more but have never continued reading them. I am interested to hear what you think of this one. I did like the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you not care for them, Tracy?

      Delete
    2. Well, It was 2007 and I can't remember for sure. I wrote down what I read but not my thoughts on the books. But, I read them all in one month, and that might have been a mistake. This might be the kind of series where you need a rest between books. And I kept the remaining ones I had. That must mean I had some intention of reading them someday.

      Delete
  6. Sadly the libraries here don't have any of her books. I'll be on the lookout for them though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those drawings in there look amazing! This book sounds like a really good one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...