'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, October 9, 2015

In a Time of Universal Deceit...

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.   
~ George Orwell

This is a time of universal deceit. Lies are everywhere and if they are heard often enough they are believed as truths. My head is spinning with what people believe today and how very easily they just jump on the bandwagon and never question. I came across a short article by Michael Brown with quotes to 'preserve our moral sanity' for a time like this and thought you might like it too.

'More than once in the last few years I’ve asked myself the question, “Has the whole world gone mad? Has everyone in our society lost the ability to think clearly? Are people no longer able to process facts and information? Are they so dominated by their emotions and by sound bites that truth and logic don’t seem to matter?”'

Read more...

A few of these quotes will be going on my fridge so I can remind myself daily that I am not crazy, the rest of the world is! And remember: 
'A dead thing can go with the stream, only a living thing can go against it.'  
~ G.K. Chesterton

I found this article by Allen West interesting too. Paralleling the time after WWI to present day.

Peggy Ann

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, Peggy, but I really worry for the world my grandchildren will have to inhabit. You and I have lived most of our lives but their world is getting crazier by the minute and they will have to somehow cope. Europe is a madhouse, it really is, and anyone who tries to point out one or two pertinent facts is villified for being 'racist' or 'unfeeling'. I don't know where the heck we're headed to be honest and it really worries me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cath. It's the exact same here and I feel the same about my grandkids. It seems like we've crossed some line or something and I don't see it ever going back. I just don't see how you would put some of things we've let out of the box back in again.

      Delete
  2. I heard the author of a book called Henry Clay: America's Greatest Statesman on the radio today, and he was saying that in Henry's day the guys in the House of Rep used to physically fight each other on the floor of the House, and duel outdoors. This is why I believe knowing the past is so important. It shows me that as mad as my times are, there were such before. Wait, I'll look up the author for you - Harlow Giles Unger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have to continue to call for peace and brotherhood and sisterhood, no matter what, treating people from everywhere with respect and kindness. The Golden Rule exists in some form in all religions and in ethical societies.
    There are people all over Europe who are welcoming the refugees and helping them. It is not their fault that they have to leave their homes, families -- and homelands. People are dying.
    We have to have compassion.

    As for the situation here, I hope we all survive intact the coming year of election campaigning. We're all already on overload. And what is anyone for that will help millions of people who can't find decent full-time jobs at livable wages? Whose wages are stagnant or falling?
    Our Social Security may not get a cost-of-living increase as it is said there is "no inflation." Well, there is where I live. Yet Medicare premiums may go up for some.
    It's tough here and in many other areas. It's most important to care and help others however we can.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...