'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, October 16, 2015

Free Finds Friday

You all know by now that I love old books. Some are hard to find in physical form but there's always free ebooks! Thought I might share a few with you that I've come across as available now through Project Gutenberg. They always offer several different formats. Never know, THE book you've been looking for might be there!

For those of you who love gardens... I love this cover!

by Mrs. Mrs. Brightwen

'I recognise clearly that my little volumes have been received with so much favour, because, in spite of their simplicity and their lack of scientific importance, they are, so far as they go, original. That is to say, I have not much to give, but what I have is of my own gathering. I have not borrowed from other and cleverer writers, but have set down as plainly as I could what I have myself observed and experienced.
It is my privilege to be unusually well placed for the minute study of living creatures, and in that study I find a pleasure so intense that I long to attract others to the same well-spring of pleasure. Unpretending as are the chronicles of the inmates of my house and garden, they are scrupulously true, and every fact that a veracious observer records is a contribution, however small, to our general sum of knowledge.'





Get it here.

Read about it here.

I just watched a show about 'life under the stairs' that investigated the life of servants in the United Kingdom and Mrs. Beeton was highlighted and her famous book! 



I was amazed that this one was offered free on PG!

'Her veneer was big city … but one look and you knew that Toni Rassell’s instincts were straight out of the river shack she came from. I watched her as she toyed with the man, laughing, her tumbled hair like raw blue-black silk, her brown shoulders bare. Eyes deep-set, a girl with a gypsy look. So this was the girl I had risked my life to find. This was the girl who was going to lead me to a buried fortune in stolen loot.'

Get it here

1 comment:

  1. I love finding stuff on Project Gutenberg. I'm especially fond of their "random" button—I like to see what comes up that I never would have thought to search for.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...