'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Tuesday, October 13, 2015

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday

Every Tuesday Diane over @ Bibliophile By the Sea host this meme. Thought I would jump in this week! All you have to do is share the first paragraph or two from the book you are reading or one you want to read soon. Stop over at Bibliophile By the Sea and see what others linked up or link up your own post!

Mine is from a book I am hoping to get started on next.
A Chance to Die, The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael by Elisabeth Elliot. This biography was published in 1987.


She managed to stuff her two little brothers up through the skylight and then squeezed herself onto the slate roof. Glorious freedom. They stood triumphant in the fresh wind that swept across the Irish Sea.  The water was blue today, which to the girl (perhaps seven or eight years old) meant that it was happy. On some days it was green and angry, on others gray and anxious. Over the rooftops of the village they could see the stony beach and, far off across the water, the great rock called Ailsa Craig, and two rounded hills, the Paps of Jura. Now for the rest of the adventure. Gleefully the three children slid down the slates and paraded triumphantly around the lead gutters-until they saw, gazing up at them, the astonished faces of their parents.

The girl was Amy Beatrice Carmichael, get-great-granddaughter of one Jane Dalziel. It was said that King Kenneth II of Scotland (A.D. 971-995) had offered a reward to any of his subjects who would dare to remove from the gallows the body of the king's friend and kinsman who had been hanged. One stepped forth and said in Gaelic, "Dal ziel." I dare. So Dalziel became his name. That spirit was not much diluted in the child on the roof.

The parents on the ground were David Carmichael, descendant of Scottish Covenanters, and Catherine Jane Filson, descendant of Dalziel. Years later Amy found spiritual significance in this union, as she found spiritual significance in almost everything. Because her mother's ancestors were friendly with certain persecutors of the Covenanters, it was a though persecutor and persecuted were at last united. "So you see," she wrote, "after all, cruelty and wrong are not the greatest forces in the world. There is nothing eternal in them. Only love is eternal."

I adore Amy Carmichael's writings and have used her devotionals for years. A woman so full of love. I did not know she had Scottish roots, that was a sweet find for me!

What do you think? Sound like a good read?

Peggy Ann

14 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I continue to be gobsmacked by the books you track down! BTW - the surname Dalziel is pronounced Dee- ell, just in case you don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pronunciation, Katrina! I know you had told me before but I couldn't remember for the life of me! I checked this one out at the church library! Wish it was my own copy.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such an interesting book! I am not familiar with Amy Carmichael, I'm afraid, but it sounds like she has an interesting heritage and has lead an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually read that book although it has been many years since then. I, too, have loved reading many of Amy Carmichael's devotional books, so I was eager to read this book about her life. She seemed to have a grasp of God's love that is rare and precious. Your post makes me think about reading it again!
    Thanks,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were, haven't seen you around for awhile. I went looking to see if there was an email address to contact you at but couldn't find one. So glad you stopped in!

      She is wonderful isn't she? I love The Edges of His Ways, my favorite devotional!

      Delete
    2. I love that one and am reading Rose From Brier which I've read a couple of times over the years.

      I haven't commented lately, but I'm definitely still reading your posts! One of my dearest friends in life lives in Elizabethton, TN, so I'm pretty familiar with the area where you are moving. Such a beautiful area of the country to live!

      Delete
    3. It is lovely there. We looked at houses in Elizabethton. Thats where my husband really wanted to buy. Maybe someday you'll come visit us both then! My email is on the sidebar if you ever want to chat!

      Delete
  4. That's an oldie but goodie Peggy. Thanks for sharing with us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with Amy Carmichael, but I do like a good biography. This one looks interesting, so I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read biographies since I was in School, Monica. I loved them then. She's such an amazing woman though and I thought I could learn something from her life.

      Delete
  6. What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...