'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Exclamation Point

‘Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.’ from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel Eric.

Concerning Exclamation marks, Mark Twain said in his essay 'How to Tell a Story' whooping exclamation points make him want to renounce joking and lead a better life.

And F. Scott Fitzgerald said Cut out all these exclamation points. It's like laughing at your own joke.

I must have a diseased mind then because I noticed I tend to use a lot of exclamation points! Oops, there I did it again. I'll try harder not to.

Read more about this subject here.

Peggy Ann

4 comments:

  1. I love exclamation points when I make them! I think they're fun. I love the Mark Twain quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy,
    I do this, too, especially in emails and comments and sometimes blog entries. I have a nervous habit of editing myself over and over, so I usually find I delete at least three exclamation points for everything I write! (Woops!)
    Best to you,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed the increase in exclamation points myself! Especially when I am on instagram it seems I cannot write a comment without one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I edit myself too and often cut back on the exclamation marks. But sometimes it just gets too much and they explode out of me!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...