'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, September 4, 2015

The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey

Robert Blair is an attorney in a long running family law practice. He is in his forties, unmarried, lives in the family home with his 'aunt' Lin who is really an older cousin. She is much like a mother to him. He has a comfortable, routine, safe life. Until he answers the phone late one afternoon. His life is turned upside down. Just five minutes more and he would have been gone for the day and life would have been much the same.

Marion Sharpe and her elderly mother need legal help. A young girl has accused them of picking her up on the street and holding her against her will and beating her. She has the bruises to prove it. Marion calls Robert and asks him to hurry out and be present when the police and Scotland Yard's Alan Grant, are present with the girl to confront her and her mother with these charges. This is not Roberts speciality in law by any means. He is use to elderly ladies changing their wills ever time the wind blows and handling estates. He tries very hard to turn Marion away, but in the end she convinces him to just come for this one meeting to make sure they are not railroaded. He finally agrees and runs out to the Franchise, their old crumbling estate, and his life is forever changed.

Convinced of their innocence even though the girls story is airtight and very convincing, he sets out to do all he can to get to the truth and vindicate the Sharpes.

I've noticed a few readers didn't particularly like this Tey. There is no murder and Alan Grant has a very small part in it. But I enjoyed it. It was a good puzzle with characters I liked and solid descriptions. I could visualize the Franchise and the surrounding towns etc. I enjoyed watching Robert's life loosen up and expand. I had an old 1965 Dell paperback copy to read. Small, 50 cents new and yellow pages. I loved the feel of it in my hands! Just added to the enjoyment of reading it. Sadly a couple of the first pages are coming out, but I still love it.

If you get a chance to read it don't let anyone put you off. It's a good read!

Peggy Ann


6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too. My favourite of Tey's books is The Daughter of Time - have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an old penguin copy of this tbr and I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read it a couple of times in the past 30 years and really liked it. It might be time to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is next in line for me with the Josephine Tey books so I shall take your advice and read it. I certainly enjoyed the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It isn't her best but is still definitely worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite books by Tey. Certainly the one I remember the most. But it is true that Grant doesn't figure in it much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...