'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Educate Before You Hate!

Just had to share this with all the controversy going on about the confederate flag. Just to be clear I am a northerner and not racist at all. I know this flag, to some, represents terrible things. This young black man sets us straight on this account. What I love about what he has to say is people need to educate themselves about a subject before they jump on a hate wagon about it. Our culture has become a mass of people running solely on emotion with no thought to logic or fact. We've forgotten how to THINK for ourselves and make rational decisions.



Although I was born in the north I grew up in south. I was never one to jump on this confederate thing to begin with. I don't think a confederate flag should be flying from our government buildings as there are no confederate states. There was a war that settled that. We are one nation united and the American flag should be the only one on a government building along with their state flag. This is ridiculous crucifying everyone who has a confederate flag on their home, restaurant, business etc. is just crazy. This is America where we are free to like what we like, think what we think and speak our minds. Even if it makes us sound or look ignorant. If you want to fly that fly on your business that's your right and I have the same right to do my business somewhere else. I don't have the right to ruin you because I disagree with you. Look what happened to Paula Deen and now Donald Trump just name a couple. This seems to be the norm here now. We are allowed to say and do ignorant things. To be idiots if we want to. Our men fought and died to preserve that right. We are making their sacrifice to be in vain!

We can be angry and hurt and still make intelligent, thought out decisions on how to handle these things. We don't have to jump on an emotional bandwagon of hate. Two wrongs don't make a right. So don't buy Paula Deen's cookware or watch her show and don't vote for Trump. It's not the Foodnetwork or a store's place to make statements about these things. It's their place to provide a product. If it doesn't sell then take it out of stock. Some days I really would just like to say 'stop the world and let me off!'

I hope this young man's message starts a conversation and sanity returns to this country!

Peggy Ann

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Peggy Ann and I like what you said "This is America where we are free to like what we like, think what we think and speak our minds. Even if it makes us sound or look ignorant." I hate the political correctness that has taken over the media today. I am thankful that my parents raised us to not be prejudiced (although I wonder what it would have been like if we lived anywhere other than nearly all-white, small town Oregon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audra, its almost like that old movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers! People are being taken over by some craziness! I grew up in Fla. and we had year end riots at our high school most years or threats of them. Lots of prejudice. There still seems to be a hangover spirit of hate in the south to some extent in my opinion. We are all the same, have the same hopes and dreams, bleed the same color.

      Delete
  2. Well said, Peggy. I agree with you. We're losing our freedoms every day, often giving them up without even realizing what we're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are Joan! Its a scary time. I fear for the world my grandchildren will make their lives in.

      Delete
  3. Great points and puts things in perspective. If everyone would leave each other alone then we wouldn't have all these problems. It's okay to be different and have different views and opinions, but don't force them on other people.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Ann! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Peggy,
    I must confess I find the flying of flags (except perhaps on buildings like embassies and consulates) somewhat baffling. I've never felt the need to fly a flag to feel a part of anything. This crystallised for me when I visited Northern Ireland where it is not just flags that denote "territory" but even pavement (curb) edges are painted in the respective "national" colours. I came to the conclusion that displays of this kind actually indicate a lack. They betray a deep insecurity in whoever feels the need to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting take on it Jack! I'd never really thought about it before. Just always thought of it as patriotism.

      Delete
    2. Peggy,
      My immediate reaction to anyone displaying unasked what they themselves describe as patriotism is suspicion. Certainly over here those who "wrap themselves in the Union Jack" are usually doing so for deeply unpleasant reasons.

      Delete
  5. I had a notion when the kids were little to get flags from all our heritages and fly them. Didn't do it, but would've been cool. In this family both Irelands would have been represented, and South Korea, and Germany, France, and England. With a little American Indian thrown in who had no flag. :<)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...