'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, July 10, 2015

Doors

Just some lovely doors...mostly in Falkland Scotland





 Can't make up my mind which of these two blue doors I like the best!



Door at The Abbey Church at Dunfermline. Dating back to 1072


St Ternan's Church, Arbuthnott. Dedicated in 1242. Lewis Grassic Gibbon is buried here.

Linlithgow Palace

These two have marriage stone lintels. They have the initials of the husband and wife with the year they were married. They were very popular until Victorian times and acted as a record of the marriage. I think they are so cool. There are a lot of them around Scotland.
CK and MN married in 1750

DS and ES married in 1763


Don't forget to close the door on your way out!

Peggy Ann

14 comments:

  1. I love to take pictures of doors with a window beside them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have made it just over the border into Scotland! A tiny village called Foulden which is very pretty.

    I enjoyed looking at your doors and didn't know about the marriage lintels. What a wonderful idea to commemorate the occasion.

    We wandered Berwick Upon Tweed, just back into England, yesterday and I saw another door you might like. The photo is on this post: http://stephjb.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/crossing-border-foulden-hagg-and.html and I hope it gets sensitively restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, thanks for the link! Loved reading about your camping. The door is lovely.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So many lovely unique doors there, JoAnn.

      Delete
  4. I love the doors. Want a turquoise or red one! Wonder how my landlord would feel about that; all of our apartment doors are painted boring brown. Wonder how a bright turquoise door would sit with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably wouldn't go over very well, Kathy! LOL! I love those double doors.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of marriage lintels. Fascinating. If it's written in stone, maybe it's an incentive to stay married and to make sure you make the right choice of mate! The photos of doors are lovely. I also like that many houses seem to have names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the names too Joan! When we retire and buy a house I'm going to name it.

      Delete
  6. Very nice doors and photos. I have been enjoying the photos you have shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your enjoying the photos, Tracy!

      Delete
  7. When were these doors painted? It has to be recently as the paint would never stay so sharp and crisp and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy, I think the post just above is spam! I love all these doors, and am particularly fond of the marriage lintels. Such a good idea. Our front and side doors are painted in what we call Tomie dePaola colors! Turquoise and two shades of purple.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...