'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Stirling Castle

The first documented mention of Stirling Castle was around 1107-1115! Alexander I endowed a chapel in the castle. It has such a rich history. I'll add links at the bottom of the post if you want to know more about it.

It was a lovely day although quite windy!



Check out my hair! I told you it was windy!

 Robert the Bruce won Scotland's freedom from the English at Bannockburn in 1314 within sight of the castle. The English had occupied the castle for 10 years. After the victory Bruce ordered the castles defences smashed to prevent the castle being held against him again. Future kings would rebuild and enlarge.

The Battle of Bannockburn was amazing. Bruce's men numbered 8,000 to Edward II's 17,000 men army and yet they defeated the English army!






view from the castle with William Wallace Monument in the background

Our excellent tour guide

This statue lost his head by a cannon ball in battle!

Courtyard



 Mary Queen of Scots was crowned to the right in this photo. The bldg. to the right is the chapel. The original stood just in front of where this one stands and she was crowned at 9 months old there.
Many fascinating statues adorn the castle

Probably rapeseed growing here.

James V

Castle walls. Would be hard to scale!

When the yellow building to the right is viewed from far off it looks like pure gold.

The Kings Knot, a formal garden at one time.

The kings hunting grounds at one time. The bright yellow in the distance is Rapeseed fields

  Too many pics to post. I'll do another post with pics from inside the royal apartments later.

Links:
Castle Timeline
Did You Know?
Stirling Castle Guide



Peggy Ann

6 comments:

  1. I so envy you this trip, Peggy. Haven't been to Scotland is many, many years - always wanted to return. Such winderful people, such rich history, such gorgeous scenery. Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time you planned another trip there, Yvette!

      Delete
  2. You really truly did have the trip of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! and you haven't seen it all yet Patty!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos! I hope you don't mind that I've copied some of the pictures to use as wallpaper on my PC. I have a whole folder of castles.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...