'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, June 1, 2015

D Day Approaching

Tomorrow is D Day. My Departure Day from Scotland. A very long day, 7 hours from Edinburgh to Newark NJ, 3 hr. layover there and then 1 1/2 hrs. To Pittsburgh. It will be 7:42 pm in the U.S. When I land, But I'll still feel like Scotland time and it will be 12:42 am there! Such mingled feelings. Will be glad to be home after a whole month away, but so sad to leave Katrina and Jack whom I now consider family.

We had a wonderful month together. They gave me a priceless gift, opening their home to me and taking me all over Scotland! Jack was the behind the wheel of the car most of the month! 

I ate haggis, mutton pie, rumbledythump, Indian curry, tablet and had a 'wee dram' in a pub. I think we went to every charity shop and used bookstore for miles, two of my favourite things in the whole world!

Saw Magpies, Rooks, Swans, Starlings and lots of other birds I've never seen and a Monkey Puzzle Tree! Colours of Rhodedendrons I've never seen, a handkerchief tree and had to come to Scotland to see California Lilac!

We saw Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Falkland Palace, Urquhart Castle, Linlithgow Palace, the Harbour House from O. Douglas' book, seals sunbathing, a herd of cows running down the hill, the Scottish Parliament building, walked the Royal Mile (no I didn't drink a pint every pub on it like my brother-in-law did!), saw the Edinburgh Botanical Gardens, Loch Ness, Ben Nevis, Glencoe, Culloden, Inverness, Lewis Grassic Gibbons grave, shopped in Glasgow, saw the Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow, visited James Oswald and his farm animals, had lunch with Alan Jones (didn't get over to his house and sailing, my fault not his. Next trip for sure!). Went to Peebles and met Evee from Evee's blog and saw the home O. Douglas (Anna Buchan) and her brother John Buchan lived in when kids. The Kelpies, the Falkirk Water Wheel, Neptunes Staircase, Pitlochry Dam and Fish Steps. And more! 

The weather was colder and wetter for May, but it didn't stop us. The wind was always blowing and some days it really wore you out. No matter what time of year you come bring warm clothes and a coat and don't worry about your hair, it will get blown to bits anyway! But I loved every second of it! 

I'll be posting pictures over the next months with posts about them. I took over 1000 pictures. Check out the wind yesterday! (Couldn't get it to load thru the blog app I have on my iPad so you have to here to watch it) https://www.facebook.com/peggy.arthurs.7/videos/1589517664662897/

I did buy an extra suitcase and will just pay for the extra baggage. It took a couple times of packing and weighing but I think we've got both cases under the slotted 50 lbs. I have my one carry on case packed with nothing but books since they don't weigh the carry on! I hope I can lift it to put it in the overhead storage:) I think I can.

Peggy Ann



15 comments:

  1. I am just dying to see those photos! Sounds like you had a fantastic time. There can't be much of Scotland you didn't see! Safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy,

    It was great meeting up with you. Farewell and we hope you come back soon. There's still ton's to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a wonderful month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've both really loved having you here and showing you around the place, but we've just scratched the surface so you'll definitely have to come back! You're no' awa' tae bide awa'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can count on it, Katrina! Your stuck with me for life now!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you've had a wonderful time. I'm not surprised, we loved our time in Scotland last year. Look forward to seeing your photos. Safe journey, Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath. Made it home in one piece although a very tired one piece! Many flight delays.

      Delete
  6. So exciting! Can't wait to see pictures! We were there in 2007 for 5 days. Did edinburgh, stirling castle, rannoch moor, invergarry, eilean donan castle, dunvegan on skye, jacobean steam train to mallaig, glenfinnan, oban, isle of mull, and fell in love with scotland. Hope to go back next year. Want to show scotland to our daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie I wish I were rich and could take all my family to share it with them too! It is a gorgeous country.

      Delete
  7. It was great to meet you, Peggy. I think we will remain friends now! Come back again soon. We have loads more to show you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can count on remaining friends, Evee! xx

      Delete
  8. And fish and chips out of the paper, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jack, I forgot to put those in! I thought of it later but didn't get around to going back and editing it. And with a lovely river view! Thanks again for the tasty experience!

      Delete
  9. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your Scottish trip Peggy. Looking forward to seeing the photographs !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful that you had such a great time with wonderful friends and amazing excursions. And you did so much! Everything sounds exciting.

    Look forward to the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...