'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Lewis Man by Peter May



Book's back cover:
A MAN WITH NO NAME
An unidentified corpse is recovered from a Lewis peat bog; the only clue to its identity being a DNA sibling match to a local farmer

A MAN WITH NO MEMORY
But this islander, Tormod Macdonald - now an elderly man suffering from dementia - has always claimed to be an only child.

A MAN WITH NO CHOICE
When Tormod's family approach Fin MacLeod for help, Fin feels duty bound to solve the mystery


This is the second in a trilogy. I've read several reviews that say they liked it better than the first book. Although I really liked this one too I think I liked the first one better. The body in the peat bog was really interesting and of course the sense of place and atmosphere is wonderful as in all his books. I just liked the wrap up of the first mystery a bit better.

Good characters and relationship growth. Looking forward to peeking in on them in the third book, The Chessmen.

Here's a nice write up on this book in The Scotsman

Peggy Ann

2 comments:

  1. I loved both of them, although for different reasons. I thought they did the dementia story well. I have the 3rd book, but I keep waiting to read it because that will be the end. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, you have reminded me of another Scottish author I want to read this year. I have read one book in his Beijing series, and I have The Blackhouse.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...