'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, February 20, 2015

Future Reads

Not much going here this last week. Just trying to stay warm and helping the new neighbor move in. Believe it or not it was -13F/-25C on our thermometer on the back porch when we got up this morning! Very unusual for our neck of the woods. Plus there was a huge windchill factor. Suppose to get warmer temps tomorrow but 5-9 inches of snow.

I finished a book, it's for Netgalley though and I can't post the review until March 31st. It was good! Set in the Scottish Highlands during WWII. But you'll have to wait to find out what it's about :=)

I have come across a few books that I put on my 'want to read' list though and thought I'd share them with you.

The Devil's Footprints: A Novel by John Burnside  This one will count for Read Scotland. Set in Scotland and by a Scot. Thanks to Jim over at the Goodreads group for turning me onto this author!

The Children's Blizzard  About a prairie snowstorm in 1888 that left 500 dead in one day, mostly children trying to get home from school. I found this book on this website that Nan over at Letters From a Hill Farm posted on her blog. Thanks, Nan!

The Umbrella Maker's Daughter by Janet Caird  Set in Scotland and by a Scot will count for the Read Scotland challenge! I read 2 Caird books last year and really enjoy her writing. I've actually ordered this book from AbeBooks.

A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley  Coming out April 7th. I love her writing.

A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor

Parly Road by Ian Todd

The Girl That Nobody Knows by Mark McShane  and The Deeds of Dr. Deadcert by Joan Fleming found these over @ Pretty Sinister Books

The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore  Ali @ Heavenali did a nice review on this one.


A couple more Scottish books...
The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne  set in Scotland. Thanks Jo for the heads up on this one!

Electric Brae by Andrew Greig Found this book over @ Jack Deighton's site. He does great reviews!

Tangling of the Web by Millie Gray

Something here for everyone! Have you read any of these?

Did you hear that ITV is doing a new Maigret series this year? Two 2 hour films. You will never guess who is playing Maigret!!!

Hope you had a good week and stayed warm. Enough winter already!

Peggy Ann

8 comments:

  1. You're right, Peggy, I would *never* have guessed in a million years who they chose to play Maigret. Well well. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peggy, just stopping by to say I can relate to the beyond cold weather and temps we are having. crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys have it a lot worse than we do, Diane! How much snow have youn's had this last two months?

      Delete
  3. i read the childrens Blizzard and I almost wished I hadn't! It is just so awful! So very sad. And that it is true just makes it all the more difficult!

    It is cold! We are outside Philly.
    I enjoy your blog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had more snow today, but not as much as predicted which is always nice. But it's still mighty cold so the melt will have to wait I though we're supposed to have a pretty good week. We'll see. The weather reporting has been a little iffy lately.

    Looks like you'll be busy reading up a storm, Peggy. Haven't read any of the titles you've listed, but I did make a few jottings. John's review of the Mark McShane book got me interested as well. And I've been meaning to read Ian Todd for ages.

    Rowan Atkinson as Maigret? Might work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only author that I am familiar with is Susanna Kearnsly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh - great "want to" list. I will be borrowing a couple title to add to my own list. I have heard about the Children's Blizzard, but haven't taken time to track down a copy. It sounds sad, but fascinating I also love Susanna Kearsley.

    The Maigret series sounds wonderful. Now you've got me curious about who will play him. Off to Google. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...