'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, February 7, 2015

Come and Get It!

This was too good not to share!


isn't the rutabaga gorgeous?
Golden Autumn Beef Pot
serves 8

Here's proof of how unfair many of us have been to rutabagas. In this delicious, substantial soup, they add gorgeous color and subtle good flavor.

1 pound stew meat, cut in 1/2 in. cubes 
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 meduim oninons, chopped
3 meduim potatoes, cubed
2 cups cubed rutabaga
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
4 beef bouillon cubes
6 cups water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground pepper to taste


In a Dutch oven or heavy pot, brown meat in butter and oil in 2 batches. Set aside. Saute onions in same pan until soft. Return meat to pan along with remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Correct seasoning.

*I let mine simmer for almost 4 hours. Wanted to make sure the meat was really tender.

This recipe is from my trusty Michigan cookbook, Hollyhocks & Radishes: Mrs. Chard's Almanac Cookbook

Other good eats this last week or so:

Rachael Ray's Black Bean and Avocado Burritos, yummo! And I used homemade tortillas from Brown Eyed Bakers recipe. Easy peasy and so delicious! No preservatives or additives!

To use up a zucchini in the fridge I made Zucchini Spice Bread

We had Spaghetti & Meatballs for brother's birthday. His all time favorite. I used a new recipe for meatballs this time and they are the bomb in meatballs! I've had this recipe in  my notebook for years and never tried them. I will never make any other! Grandma Maroni's Meatballs 100 year old recipe

On my radar to make soon:

Kansas City Sue's Chicken  We've had it once before and it's been way too long.

Fry Sauce
Toll House Chocolate Chip Pie
Frito Chili Pie
Chicken Barley Soup
Moscows, the oddest meatball recipe I've ever come across!
And Crack Pie. I guess this pie is quite expensive when you buy it in a shop already made. My curiosity is killing me!

What's cooking at your house?

Peggy Ann

5 comments:

  1. How could you do this? I haven't looked through all the recipes from your last post like this. The Frito Chili Pie looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious Peggy Ann. Here in the UK we call rutabaga "swede."..

    May have to give this one a try !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to Google rutabaga wondering if it was sweet potato because of the colour. Should have just read down the comments first!

      Delete
    2. The rutabaga is not that beautiful golden color when it is raw. I love it in soup and stew. It gives the broth such a warm glow! It is confusing all the different names different countries call things! I'm learning so much since I started blogging and meeting people all over.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...