'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, January 1, 2015

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley

US cover
7th book in the Flavia de Luce Series
Print size: 416 pages
File Size: 1625 KB
ISBN-13: 978-0345539939
Publisher: Random House

My source: Netgalley

Author's Website
Flavia de Luce Fan Club


Description:

Banished! is how twelve-year-old Flavia de Luce laments her predicament, when her father and Aunt Felicity ship her off to Miss Bodycote’s Female Academy, the boarding school that her mother, Harriet, once attended across the sea in Canada. The sun has not yet risen on Flavia’s first day in captivity when a gift lands at her feet. Flavia being Flavia, a budding chemist and sleuth, that gift is a charred and mummified body, which tumbles out of a bedroom chimney. Now, while attending classes, making friends (and enemies), and assessing the school’s stern headmistress and faculty (one of whom is an acquitted murderess), Flavia is on the hunt for the victim’s identity and time of death, as well as suspects, motives, and means. Rumors swirl that Miss Bodycote’s is haunted, and that several girls have disappeared without a trace. When it comes to solving multiple mysteries, Flavia is up to the task—but her true destiny has yet to be revealed.

So much seemed resolved in the last book The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches that I was afraid this next book with Flavia going away to school would be less of everything we have come to love about the books and the characters. Boy was I wrong! Even though Flavia is away from Buckshaw and all the characters we learned to love she's still our beloved Flavia and wherever she is there is fun! And murder!

UK cover
Flavia is being groomed to follow in her mother's footsteps as a secret agent or spy, we're not really told. Here in Miss Bodycote's Female Academy she has a larger than life image to live up to in her mother. Can she do it? Who can she trust in this land far from home? Not only do we have the wonderful antics of Flavia here at the school but a whole group of girls there for just the same reason as she! Lots of brainy, quirky girls to love! We still get glimpses of home and family through letters from Dogger and Flavia's memory as she draws on things that happened or were said to help her on her journey. Great series!

Here is an interview with Mr. Bradley I found interesting!

Purchase book:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Powell's City of Books
Barnes & Noble
The Book Depository
Indie Books

Thank you Random House and Netgalley for letting me read and review this book!

Peggy Ann

3 comments:

  1. I will be reading this book soon, so I just skimmed your review. But I am glad you were please with it and I will come back when I am done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the article...I had a feeling this author was special...can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy Ann, I'm with Tracy - just skimmed the review. I'm waiting for my turn at the library. I really did think that the last Flavia was the LAST Flavia - her being sent off to Canada and all. So I was elated when I found that I was wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...