'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, December 18, 2014

I'm Married to Scottish Nobility!

It's true! Last week we met with a fellow who contacted us via Facebook looking for relatives of Joseph and Mary Arthurs. Turns out they are my husband's great grandparents and Jeff is his second cousin! Dave knew little really about his dad's family other than they came from Ireland. And they did, his great grandpa Joseph Arthurs came over in the late 1800's. They were Catholic and fleeing the persecution of the Orangemen.

Turns out his great grandma, Mary Hunter Arthurs is descendant of a long Scottish line and Jeff had the documents to prove it. All the way back to his 27th great grandfather, Simon fitz Alan in the 1100's! Simon fitz Alan was a 12th-century noble who was the ancestor of the Clan Boyd. Simon was the third son of the Breton knight, Alan fitz Flaad, feudal lord of Oswestry, by his spouse Aveline, daughter of Ernoulf de Hesdin. Joseph Hunter was the first in the line to immigrate to America. He was born in Ayrshire in 1747 and died in New Jersey in 1858.

Sir Robert Boyd was said to have fought with William Wallace and Robert the Bruce! Somewhere in there a Campbell was married in also. James of Abbotshill & Park Hunter is a name on the list and I haven't had time to look around about him yet but it looks like he might link into Lewis or Meriweather from our nations history! Jeff is going to send me a copy of the Scottish line in order. It's been fun looking up these people and learning about them. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting out!

On another note...
I picked up a book on the library book sale cart by Shirley Jackson. She wrote horror, her most famous The Haunting of Hill House. I've seen the movie but not read the book. This book, Life Among the Savages, is a memoir of her family's life in rural Vermont. On the back of the book...
  One of America's most celebrated writers takes you home to a family and a small town so funny and unpredictable, you'll wish it were your own!
Looking forward to reading it!

We are off to the kid's house in Maryland this morning for a pre-Christmas celebration. Dave has to work on Christmas. I've loaded the iPad with audio books for the drive. It's only 4 hours each way but I can get a book read in that time! Not sure what I'll read, In the Shadow of a Glacier by Vicki Delaney or The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom or Death at Wentwater by Carola Dunn.

Can't wait to see the grandkids open their gifts! Got Ian a slot car racetrack. And Isa is getting the retired American Doll she wanted. We've told her over and over its just to expensive so she will be so surprised!

Well I better go get moving so we can get on the road. Bitter cold but at least there isn't any snow on the ground! Just a light dusting last night. See you next week!

Peggy Ann

14 comments:

  1. Do we need to curtesy and call you Lady Peggy?

    Have a safe drive and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty. No need to curtesy but Lady Peggy does sound nice...

      Delete
  2. Just don't try to take over Edinburgh Castle when you get here!
    I hope you all have a great time in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't I promise, I'll behave myself!

      Delete
  3. What an exciting and interesting family discovery. :)
    Have a lovely trip, spending time with family is great. I have read The Haunting of Hill house, the only one of Jackson's novels I have read so far. It's chilling but made me want to read more of her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read it, Ali, but have seen the movie several times. I was surprised to see this type of book by her.

      Delete
  4. What fun! Merry Christmas to you and your family :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours too JoAnn!

      Delete
  5. That is so fascinating about your spouse's Scottish family history, and Irish, too, of course.

    I wish I knew about my Irish ancestors, two great-parents from the Republic of Ireland, but no idea where, and a great-grandmother, Sabina Agnes Ryan, from County Sligo. This is all I know. And one cousin of theirs, Kitty Kelly, from County Mayo.

    Have a wonderful holiday with the family. Those children will be so happy with their gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I have Irish in my family too, My grandmother on my dad's side is a Gallagher but the one person who was really interested in genealogy and did a lot of research couldn't find any info on the great grandfather David Gallagher. All trails ended with him so we'll never know where exactly in Ireland. My grandad on my mom's side said there is Irish in his line but never found out where and I didn't see it at all in the family tree on Ancestry.com it was all English.

      Delete
  6. How interesting Peggy! Imagine being able to trace back THAT far! Have a great time with the family over Christmas. Hope they love their presents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Evee, it is amazing. Jeff has marriage certificates, death certificates, burial certificates. It's amazing. Not that far back though. When his mother died this year he inherited 5 different peoples family histories info to wade through that his mom had acquired over the years. That got him hooked.

      The kids loved their gifts! But the cats are a real problem with the racetrack and Paul told Steph they have to go! Kidding of course she would never part with them.

      Delete
  7. Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons are laugh out loud funny. It's hard to believe they were written by the same woman who wrote such dark tales.
    You've been so in love with all things Scottish, you must have known there was Scottish blood around you! How amazing that they can trace Dave's line back so far and so nobly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Joan, Dave isn't even interested in his genealogy at all! I would be so thrilled. I am and it's not even my family!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...