'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Song for Sunday for Veteran's Day


What Did He Die For? by Twila Paris

He was 21 in 1944,
He was hope, and he was courage on a lonely shore
sent there by a mother, with love beyond her tears,
just a young American who chose to rise above his fear.


And as I watch him struggle up that hill,
Without a thought of turning back.
I can not help but wonder-


What did he die for, when he died for you and me
made the sacrifice so that we could all be free
I believe that he will answer each to heaven,
for the way we spend a priceless liberty
Look inside and ask the question,
What did he die for, when he died for me.


To the darkest day in a.d 33,
came the mercy and compassion of eternity
sent there by a father with love beyond his tears,
blameless one, the only son, to bear the guilt of all these years,
and as I watch him struggle up that hill,
without a thought of turning back,
I can not help but wonder


What did he die for, when he died for you and me
made the sacrifice so that we could all be free
I believe that he will answer each to heaven,
for the way we spend a priceless liberty
look inside and ask the question
What did he die for, when he died for me


He died for freedom,
he died for love,
and all the things we do to pay him back
could never be enough


What did he die for, when he died for you and me
made the sacrifice so that we could all be free
I believe he will answer each to heaven
for the way we spend a priceless liberty
Look inside and ask the question
what did he die for, when he died for me?

o-o-o-o-o-o-


***

Twenty years ago, the song “What Did He Die For?” was inspired by what I saw and learned during the 50th anniversary commemoration of D-Day. I realized in a way I hadn’t before, that those brave young Americans died for me—and that I have a sacred duty to live my life in a way that brings honor to their great sacrifice, and to the procession of sacrifice that has secured the freedom of this great nation for more than 200 years... Read more

It is my prayer that we would not, as a nation, give up the liberty that so many men died to secure for us for a temporary security. We are in grave danger of doing just that.

Thank you to all who fought or are fighting for that liberty!  

Peggy Ann

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Peggy. I agree with you completely.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...