'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Rose by Any Other Name...

What is in a name? Some cultures think names hold the power to shape a childs destiny and character. I've always loved names and what they mean.
My name Peggy means pearl and my middle name Ann means graceful, merciful or priceless depending on nationality. It is actually a boys name in many countries! I find names fascinating, how about you?

Peggy is a short form or nickname for Margaret and when mom put Peggy on the birth certificate the nurse argued with her and told her she had to put Margaret on the birth certificate and mom told her "she's my baby and I'll name her what I want!" so Peggy went on the birth certificate!

My granddaughter is named Isa. That's a different name and people always comment on it when they hear her name. They chose to pronounce it with a z sound for the S: I-za. That makes it even more different! It's a short form of Isabella and mostly pronounced EE-sah. I have learned though that in Scotland it was a fairly common name and pronounced with the z sound! The kids picked the name because a book they were using had the definition as 'an oath of God'. Come to find out that is the Scots definition! Interesting. In Spanish it is beautiful and German, strong willed. Yep, names are fascinating!

Peggy

Greek Meaning:
The name Peggy is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Peggy is: Pearl.
 
American Meaning:
The name Peggy is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Peggy is: Pearl.
 
Persian Meaning:
The name Peggy is a Persian baby name. In Persian the meaning of the name Peggy is: Child of light.
 
English Meaning:
The name Peggy is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Peggy is: which developed from rhyming with Meg.
 
SoulUrge Number: 5 People with this name have a deep inner desire for travel and adventure, and want to set their own pace in life without being governed by tradition.
Expression Number: 6 for harmony and balance in their lives, and respond positively to beautiful things.

I got this from a fun name sight Sheknows. Put in your name and then click on your name when it comes up with the definition to get this longer version of it. I do think it gets me right! How about your name?

I really like this site as it gives your name in all the other languages.

Here's another interesting site for names. You can look up surnames here.

Top 5 names in each of the last 100 years. This is for the US only though.
But here's a site for the world

Fun 'maps' of most popular names over the last years divided by US state...
Girls
Boys

Have fun looking up names!

Peggy Ann

8 comments:

  1. Carol seems to mostly mean strong or manly, "feminine manly" actually, whatever that means. My favorite meaning though is joy or song of happiness, as in Christmas carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun! My name and Jack's, which is really John, have some similar characteristics since my name is the feminine of his. It's amazing how accurate the descriptions are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat Joan that you have the feminine of his! A true match!

      Delete
  3. In Scotland we pronounce it I-za or Eye-za if you prefer. I've never heard anyone saying Ee-za and I've known a lot of women called Isa. I think my name is boring - pure and clean, but I haven't checked on that site yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, they got Katrina wrong, it isn't English it's Scottish. When I lived in England in the 1970s they all thought my name was Russian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I saw your name I thought German or Scandinavian! It fits with your maiden name! The meaning of my name is boring too.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...