'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Sunday, August 24, 2014

Song for Sunday

1) Jesus, therefore, six days before the Passover, came to Bethany where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2) So they made Him a supper there, and Martha was serving; but Lazarus was one of those reclining at the table with Him. 3) Mary then took a pound of very costly perfume of pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. 4) But Judas Iscariot, one of His disciples, who was intending to betray Him, said,  5) "Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and given to poor people?" 6) Now he said this, not because he was concerned about the poor, but because he was a thief, and as he had the money box, he used to pilfer what was put into it. 7) Therefore Jesus said, "Let her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of my burial."             
John 12:1-7 


Alabaster Box by CeCe Winans

The room grew still
As she made her way to Jesus
She stumbled through the tears that made her blind
She felt such pain
Some spoke in anger
Heard folks whisper
There's no place here for her kind
Still on she came
Through the shame that flushed her face
Until at last, she knelt before his feet
And though she spoke no words
Every thing she said was heard
As she poured her love for the Master
From her box of Alabaster

Chorus:
And I've come to pour
My praise on Him-like oil
From Mary's alabaster box
Don't be angry if I wash His feet with my tears
And dry them with my hair
You weren't there - the night He found me
You did not feel what I felt
When He wrapped His loving arms around me
And you don't know the cost
Of the oil in my alabaster box

I can't forget
The way life used to be
I was a prisoner
To the sins that had me bound
I spent my days
Poured my life-without measure
Into a little treasure box
I thought I had found
Until the day-when Jesus came to me
And healed my soul
With the wonders of-His touch
So now I'm giving back to Him
All the praise He's worthy of
I've been forgiven
And that's why
I love Him so much

And I've come to pour
My praise on Him-like oil
From Mary's alabaster box
Don't be angry if I wash His feet with my tears
And dry them with my hair, my hair
You weren't there-the night Jesus found me
You did not feel what I felt
When He wrapped His loving arms around me
And you don't know the cost of the oil
Oh you don't know the cost of my praise
you don't know the cost of the oil
in my alabaster box
***

Such a lovely song that touches my soul so.

Taken from the scripture at the top of the page. This story is also recounted in Matthew 26:6-13 and Mark 14:3-9 and in both of these tellings it is mentioned that she poured from an alabaster box.

Nard was a plant and the fragrant oil it yielded. Since it was very expensive, Mary's act of devotion was costly. It was also an unusual act, both because she poured the oil on Jesus' feet (normally it was poured on the head) and because she used her hair to wipe them (a respectable woman did not unbind her hair in public). Further, it showed her humility, for it was a servant's work to attend to the feet.

Never judge a person's praise of Jesus as we don't know what it cost them to be able to do that. Only He knows the cost of their praise. And it's very precious to Him.

Peggy Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...