'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Tuesday, May 27, 2014

New 'old' Books!

I 'made out like a bandit' on my trip to Hilton Head Island thrift/charity shops! Some things for the new camper/caravan, clothes, shoes, and most importantly BOOKS!

Kidnapped and Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Time in Between   Maria Duenas
Angel With Two Faces   Nicola Upson
Clouds of Witness   Dorothy Sayers
Time Remembered   Miss Read
The Gazebo   Patricia Wentworth
Princess Elizabeth's Spy   Susan Elia MacNeal
Season of Storms   Susanna Kearsley
The Captain and the Enemy   Graham Greene
The Warden and Sir Harry Hotspur of Humblethwaite by Anthony Trollope
Charming Billy   Alice McDermott
My Lover's Lover   Maggie O'Farrell
The Doorbell Rang   Rex Stout
A Dublin Student Doctor   Patrick Taylor
The Camomile Lawn   Mary Wesley
Tumbleweed   Janwillem van de Wetering
Crow Lake   Mary Lawson
The Witch of the Low Tide   John Dickson Carr
Wings of Fire   Charles Todd
and for a bathroom reader,
One-minute Mysteries and Brain Teasers   Sandy Silverthorne & John Warner

Looks like a storm is coming in so I have my cuppa tea ready and I am going to go get caught up on my BBC TV shows. The library just called and my DVD series is in! Yea! It's Broadchurch series 1!

The tea bag tag quote says:

I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.    ~Albert Einstein

It's Good Earth Tea - A Citrus Kiss!

TTFN!
Peggy Ann


20 comments:

  1. Wow...you certainly did make out like a bandit. :)

    They all sound so good. The only one I read, though, is The Time Between. AWESOME READ.

    ENJOY all of your books.

    Have a great week.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I remember The Time Between going around the blogs a couple years ago and wanted to read it then. I didn't realize it is such a long book though!

      Delete
  2. Oh, a fabulous haul, Peggy Ann. How I wish there were this sort of store near me. Sigh. I can't believer you found a John Dickson Carr, a Patricia Wentworth, a Dorothy Sayers, a Miss Read (I have a bunch home from the library that I'm looking forward to reading), a Rex Stout (The Doorbell Rang is one the very best Nero Wolfe books!) and two Anthony Trollopes. WOW! Happy reading, m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I picked these books up at several different stores. I adore rummaging through thrift shops! One man's junk is another man's treasure! Hilton Head Island has so many of them! Hubby golfs and I thrift shop all week! I can't believe you don't have a thrift store somewhere near you! Wish I had a good used book store, but they seem to all be closing down. Here's a great site to find book sales near you though! http://www.booksalefinder.com/

      Delete
  3. As you know I love that phrase 'made out like a bandit' in fact I'm nicking it! What a great haul, I've only read Kidnapped and Treasure Island (obviously) The Warden and Clouds of Witness. I'm so glad that you had a chance get some 'me' time and a change of scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, Katrina, I almost didn't want to come home.

      Delete
  4. I love when many of bargain books are ones you've been wanting to read forever, enjoy Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like finding treasure in the sand, Diane!

      Delete
  5. Nice haul, Peggy! So many authors I haven't read. I love Anthony Trollope's prose. I have the first of these books but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read any Trollope yet but did watch the old TV series The Pallisers from the book series and loved it! looking forward to reading the books

      Delete
  6. Another interesting series is Rose and Maloney. I just finished watching it on Youtube. Also DCI Banks is on PBS. This is my first time seeing it. Just some tthings to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candyce! I have seen several of the DCI Banks on PBS and on ITV. I really enjoy it. Have a lot of the books in the Banks series but haven't read them yet.

      Delete
  7. So many of these I have not heard of or have not read. Looking forward to when you tell us what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy more than I ever get around to reading though, Tracy!

      Delete
  8. You did really well. I've read some of these and you some treats in store! Of the ones I've read Crow Lake is my favourite - I loved that book. The Miss Read book is new to me - and I thought I'd read all of hers. Enjoy your reading - and watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to read Crow Lake ever since I read The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson, Margaret! The Miss Read is a very thin book. I have a few of her books but have yet to dip into them.

      Delete
  9. You really know how to have a great vacation! What a great stack of books you got! I hope you enjoy them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a beach person or a golfer, Joan so all Hilton Head is good for, for me anyway, is the thrift shops! And eating!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...