'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, April 26, 2014

Black Eyed Pea Salad



I found this recipe on Pinterest. It is delicious! Great for potlucks, picnics and a healthy lunch or dinner meal with a piece of fish or chicken. It will be a staple around here now! I thought the leftovers would make good lunch food but there wasn't much left over!

Black Eyed Pea Salad

15 oz canned black eye peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or lime!)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive
1 tsp cumin
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cooked corn
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup minced red onion, finely diced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 jalapeƱo, seeded and diced
1 medium avocado, diced

Rinse and drain the black eyed peas in a colander.

In a large bowl, combine the garlic,lemon juice, oil, cumin, crushed red pepper, and salt and mix well.

Add the black-eyed peas, corn, tomato, red onion, jalapeno and parsley; mix well and refrigerate at least 20 minutes. When ready to eat, gently mix in the avocado and serve right away.

adapted from Skinnytaste.com's recipe

This recipe is linked to Beth Fish Reads' Weekend Cooking!

Peggy Ann

15 comments:

  1. My mom always made me eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day (for good luck). This salad looks like a much better way to eat them than stewed with tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did too Sarah! Black eyed peas and ham. This is a much yummier way!

      Delete
  2. What a great summer salad. I love recipes from skinnytaste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, JoAnn! I think I'll be using alot of hers this summer!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this salad looks terrific, I'm pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. That sounds good! I have all the ingredients on hand except the avocado, but I only like that in guacamole, anyway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first time eating avocado for me, Laurie. Really didn't even taste it in the salad.

      Delete
  5. Hey Peggy Ann - this would also fit in with this week's Food on Friday theme - lentils and other pulses... Cheers from CArole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use dried blackeyed peas, Carole but thanks, I linked it up!

      Delete
  6. It looks really good. I love all kinds of bean salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Patty. We are trying to eat more of them tonight is a chickpea salad!

      Delete
  7. Yum. I have a stash of black-eyed peas in the freezer - this looks like the perfect way to use some of them. Would be a great salad for taking to work for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect recipe for me, Peggy. I love all kinds of bean salads and have quite a collection of recipes, but I think this one is a new one. Light but filling and full of protein.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black eyed peas aren't widely available in Australia- I haven't eaten them much, but this does look good, I do like this sort of salad. Everyone seems to be thinking about picnics this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, as others have said -- perfect for summer. I love the spiciness, just right for a plain grilled meat.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...