'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Teabag Tuesday and a Little Catch-up


Two teabag wisdom nuggets today!


Be who you wanna be, not who they choose to see.
                                        ~Unknown

Change is the essence of life; surrender who you are for what you could become.     ~Reinhold Niebuhr

The sun is shining today and it's 60*!!! Woohoo! But tomorrow a storm is coming in and 12* will be our low:( snow is coming with it. We are right near the line where we could get rain first and a little snow or just a lot of snow. Thank heavens its a quick moving storm and will be back up in the 40's in a day or two!


Guess what I won today! A signed copy of James Oswald's The Hangman's Song! It was a contest on Twitter. It hasn't been released in the US yet either!

Been working on the last Charles Wysocki jigsaw puzzle I have. Thicketberry Cove is the name of it. Last one for the winter I suppose. I've been trying to get an old one of his called Reading and Riding from 1997. It has an old fashioned bookmobile on it pulled by a horse! I missed out on two over the last year on ebay. But persistence paid off, I won the bidding last night on a complete puzzle in excellent shape! no I didn't have to spend a fortune either! This has been my lucky week!


I'm reading a vintage mystery, a Rue Morgue reprint of Joanna Cannan's 'Death at the Dog'. Set at the beginning of WWII. It's very good. I LOVE Rue Morgue books!


I have Beef and Barley Soup cooking in the crockpot. It smells wonderful and looks so rich! Can't go wrong one of Mel's Kitchen Cafe recipes!


I watched Mary Berry Cooks this morning on BBC (you have to get Tunnelbear!) and she was cooking afternoon tea things. All the recipes sounded so easy and looked so elegant! Check them out here if your interested. You don't have to have Tunnelbear to get the recipes:) That sent me on a search for homemade clotted cream. I have never had it. It is so easy to make, I couldn't believe it! Watch Steve make it here! I have to make scones now and clotted cream! He has a lot of great recipes, all easy. Falafel, homemade tahini. Check out all his videos while your there!

The mailman was good to me this week! Brought me 5 books, a doughnut pan and a kitchen scale. Now I can make bread expertly since I've been reading you should always weigh your ingredients for bread. I'm excited to try it out.

Mrs. Lorimer's Family by Molly Clavering

From the Border Hills by Molly Claverin

The McFlannels by Helen W. Pryde (which I've already read and reviewed!)

The Weir: A Novel of the Maine Coast by Ruth Moore
What is a weir you ask? I did too! Check it out herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_weir.

A Stone of the Heart by John Brady
I read Tracy's review over at Bitter Tea and Mystery sometime ago and have been waiting patiently (almost a year!) for it to come available @ Paperbackswap!

I'm most looking forward to reading The Weir!

So what's new in your neck of the woods?

Peggy Ann

10 comments:

  1. Loving Mary Berry's new series too. :-)

    And I love that jig-saw that you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is the one I got on ebay. Its in the mail to me now! I can't wait to do it. Its my favorite of his puzzles I think because of the books! I'm going to try to collect as many of his puzzles as I can. There are tons of them! When I get old I can do them again and they'll seem like brand new to me because I won't remember doing them before!

      Delete
  2. I just pinned that soup recipe... I can practically smell it from here! The storm has officially started here. We've got big, wet , heavy snowflakes falling now and expecting 8-14" totals. It's a good day to stay indoors and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, that soup was absolutely divine! We are getting the rain first snow later. So I guess we won't get a lot. Been a long winter hasn't it?

      Delete
  3. The book with the little white haired lady looks so sweet...and...what is a doughnut pan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much interesting stuff here, Peggy. Thanks for linking to my review of Stone of the Heart. Reminds me that I need to read another one of those soon.

    I am going to have to check out that book by Joanna Cannan. And I love both of those quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Tracy! Death at the Dog is very good!

      Delete
  5. This was such a cozy post, Peggy Ann. Enjoyed reading about your Tuesday. Books in the mail - what could be better? Not much. :) I have a pile of books here, weeding them down one by one - from the library though, not the mail. Almost as good.

    I looked at the recipes for afternoon tea. I've always wanted to make scones, but have always suspected they'd come out like little stones instead. A baker I am not. :) Still I enjoy reading about afternoon tea - you should see my Afternoon Tea Pinterest Board - quite wonderful if I say so myself. It's nice to dream. And I do love the ritual aspect of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous jigsaw. I love a good 1000 piecer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...