'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Foggy Mountain

We are in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina this week. This winter that doesn't want to let go is putting a crimp in our plans! Cold and foggy. I love fog, but I like my fog with soothing sounds of the buoys and fog horns and waves lapping on the rocks. Certainly not with very winding narrow mountain roads! 

Monday we didn't venture out at all as there was ice too. We lit the gas fireplace and played Scrabble, I won!, and read. Yesterday we went and did a little shopping. We hit the historic Mast General Store (will do a post on that when I get home!) and a couple thrift/charity shops. Had a divine steak dinner and finished up the evening in front of the fireplace playing Acey Deucy and again I won! I finished reading The Removers and am almost done with a fun vintage mystery Evidence of Things Unseen by Elizabeth Daly. 

Today we went to Linville Falls even though it was still foggy. just added atmosphere:)  check it out...
  

Found some good books at the thrift stores:

Three Barbara Pym, whom I have yet to read!  The Sweet Dove Died, Less Than Angels, and Quartet in Autumn
Steinbeck's The Wayward Bus
Thomas Hardy's Far From the Maddening Crowd
Jo Nesbo's Headhunters
Janet Caird's Murder Scholastic
Hazel Holts Death Among Friends
Mary Robert Rinehart's Miss Pinkerton
Philip MacDonald's Murder Gone Mad

And my favorite find, this bright green sweater with little black Scotty dogs on it! The pic doesn't do it justice.

Fog started clearing out this afternoon and the temps are going up. Suppose to be nice now, up to 61 for Friday! So we are going to do a little hiking and picnic on Grandfather Mt.  Could be worse I guess, could be tumbleweeds instead of fog! Check it out - a town in New Mexico was taken over by them this week. They are digging out of them! 

See you later!
Peggy Ann


7 comments:

  1. Those pictures look like something out of a scary movie:) Love that you found some awesome stuff at the thrift shop. Hope you get some sunny time too,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I had a feeling you were away! Are you near Fontana Dam? I worked at Fontana Village and Resort all through my college summers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh 'envy, envy, envy'. I love the Blueridge mountains! Thanks for sharing these pics. We had fog there one visit as well. Visibility so poor we came off the Parkway and got a motel room and pottered. Wish I had found some thrift stores! Great books and a nice cardy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those atmospheric photos! I also love waterfalls. That's a great sweater, too! I love Scotties, although I've never had one, only Irish Wolfhounds. But I have a pair of pajamas with Scotties on them! Maybe some day I'll adopt a Scottie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fog. Beautiful pictures. I have never been in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds and looks like you're having a good time, I love the photos, but I think you're going to need some more bookshelves. What a great haul. I have never owned a Scottie dog but I have had my ankles bitten by several of them! It's a lovely 'sweater' - we call it a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fog, and the sweater!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...