'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, January 9, 2014

Chicken Bisque Soup



Chicken Bisque Soup

Ingredients

3 tbs olive oil
1/2 small onion chopped very fine (or 2 small shallots)
2 cloves of garlic
1 large carrot
1-1 1/2 lbs. cooked Chicken diced
2 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of heavy cream
Roux (1 tbs soft butter + 2 tbs flour)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 oz sharp white cheddar
salt, pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. In a soup pot, preheat the oil on medium heat. Add diced onion and carrots. Cook for a few minutes.
  2. Dice the cooked chicken and add it to the pot. Mince the garlic and add it to the pot as well. Cook, stirring often, until the garlic is fragrant (just a couple of minutes).
  3. Add the stock and bring to boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the carrots are fully cooked.
  4. To make the roux, just mix the soft butter and flour with a fork until completely combined.
  5. Add heavy cream, roux and Worcestershire sauce to the soup and mix very well. Add some salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Shred the white cheddar cheese into the soup, mix until all melted and combined.
Recipe adapted from Will Cook for Smiles

I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it the other night. It was delicious! I had stewed* a whole roasting chicken and divided the chicken for 3 different recipes and this was one of the recipes I used it in. I saved the broth from cooking the whole bird and that was my chicken stock. We also had chicken and yellow rice one night and there is enough chicken in the freezer for wedding soup next week. I love chicken! Be sure and click the link to the original recipe and look at her beautiful photo, my photos are very amateurish:)

* you might be scratching your head and saying what is stewed chicken. That's the term my grandma always used for just putting a chicken whole in a big pan of water with salt and pepper, you can add onion and celery too, bring it to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is done (falls off the bone easily). Then you have chicken for usually 3 meals and broth too. I always use a roaster and buy them when they are buy one get one free. When I was a little girl in the south they actually sold 'stewing hens' in the grocery store.

Peggy Ann

6 comments:

  1. I've started doing whole chickens (and also turkey breast) in the crock-pot. I don't add ANY water—just seasonings. There's enough liquid in the bird itself, and none of it cooks off, so it stays way juicy, and doesn't lose the flavor to the water like boiling does. You'll still end up with broth that cooks out of the bird, and it's so nice and undiluted. This soup recipe looks perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Peggy...this sounds quite wonderful and I am not even sure what a bisque is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really either, Patty. I'm thinking it is a cream soup?

      Delete
  3. So thrifty Peggy, you must definitely have Scottish blood in you! Thanks, I've pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe somewhere down the road I do, Katrina!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...