'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, August 16, 2013

From Out the Vasty Deep by Mrs. Belloc Lowndes

'D'you mean you actually saw what you took to be a ghost?" "I did see a ghost, ma'am; not a doubt of it She walked up and down that room in there, wringing her hands all the time -- I'd heard the expression, ma'am, but I'd never seen anyone do it.'

"Twasn't till today that one of the village people, the woman at the general shop and post office, let on that Wyndfell Hall was well known to be a ghosty place.'

First published in 1920 as From the Vasty Deep and published as From Out the Vasty Deep in 1921


This is a classic tale of astral-projection, seances, and the supernatural among British high society. Apart from the annoying name of one the lead characters, Bubbles- my goodness what a name!, this was a jolly good romp thru a haunted English manor house! Two dead wives and hot on the trail of landing another wealthy one, Lionel Varick is an all round good guy. Seems no one can say a word against him. But the ghosts that seem to follow him around don't seem to happy! It's the Christmas holiday and an odd assortment of people have been invited. On the first night Bubbles suggests a seance. She seems to have 'the gift'. Well, that stirs up the nest and a great storyline begins! There is romance, mystery and ghosts, what more could you ask for?

You can get this free in ebook format here if your interested and read another review of it @ Valli's Book Den.

Peggy Ann

6 comments:

  1. I continue to be surprised by the obscure books you find. This one sounds like fun. I'm getting the e-book copy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On an unrelated topic - where did you get the "Connect With Us" widget? I love the coffee cups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them here Tami, Bloggertrix.com If I could figure it out so can you!

      Delete
    2. I will send you an email with the script and instructions if you want. Don't have time right now to find you the exact spot on this blog with the coffee cups. If you put free blogger social media widgets in the search engine you should find lots of places with cool widgets and instructions though.

      Delete
  3. I love turn o' the century horror and suspense. I find it less predictable than the modern stuff, which seems to all be drawn on the same tropes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...