'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald



After a conversation with a friend in Scotland about our Great Lakes here in the States I got to thinking about the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on Lake Superior. Such a sad story. We've been to Whitefish Point Lighthouse and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, which has a large display of the Fitzgerald's memorablia. We are going again in August. I'll bring you back some pictures!

Superior is the largest of the lakes and very cold and very dangerous to the ships on it as the weather is much like on the open ocean. Fierce, sudden storms. Lots of legend and lore in that area!

Here are a few interesting links about the lake and the Fitzgerald to whet your appetite!

See just how severe the weather on the lake can be!
Lake Superior
The Ship Wreck Museum
SHIPWRECK:The Mystery of the Edmund Fitzgerald  a Discovery Channel program

Peggy Ann

2 comments:

  1. Loved learning about this...as a child we always went to Geneva on the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I really know much about the true story - but now you've tweeked my interest so I'm off to look it up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...