'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, June 20, 2013

Graduation Day in Pittsburgh



 Graduation Day @ Art Institute of Pittsburgh! My son Paul graduated with honors, Dean's Award with a Graphic Designs degree last weekend! His hope is to get into illustration work but that's a pretty narrow field. Here he is with the family. They sacrificed too as they were a homework widow and orphans!


We had a great day down in Pittsburgh! The ceremony was at the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall, a historic landmark building. It's in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, a really nice little district.

University of Pittsburgh founded in 1787 is located there.
Cathedral of Learning, wish you could see it close up!
 You have to check out this quick video of the Cathedral! Hosted by John Ratzenberger from Cheers, no less!

Dancer Gene Kelly graduated here!

Pitt Panther stopped to pose with the kids!

Nice restaurants and shops. After the ceremony we walked to Primanti Brothers for lunch and ate this...

You could barely get your mouth around it! I didn't expect to like it with coleslaw on it, but I loved it and ate the whole thing!

Gorgeous buildings, old architecture that is fantastic! beautiful landscaping and neighborhood attitude.


atop the Carnegie Museums

windows on the Cathedral of Learning

Click to make larger and see the gorgeous work on this bldg.




One place we didn't get to stop in at was Essie's Original Hotdog Shop. Opened in 1960. I did not get a picture, darn! It has ambiance! Next daytrip down we are eating there! Paul has eaten there and said the fries are to die for! He use to go to Pittsburgh a lot when he was young. His favorite city. This was my first time not just driving thru. It is a lovely city, I was amazed at how clean it is and how friendly the people are . I took a snap of a card I really liked, posted for sale by a local artist in the window of Essie's. I'm going to get a pair of wax lips!


Saving Heinz Memorial Chapel for another post! See you later!

Peggy Ann

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your son! What a lovely family.

    I love Pittsburgh, so it was great to see your photos. We've stayed there, with friends who live in a small town north of the city, three times now. Your photos make me feel very nostalic. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you stay Cath? We live about 40 miles north of the city. Next time you come we have to get together for lunch!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I had no idea you were in Pennsylvania, Peggy! Our friends live in Gibsonia. Not sure how far that is out of the city, I'd guess about 10 to 15 miles, and we've stayed with them three times now. People think we're odd when they say, 'What's your favourite part of the USA?' and we reply, 'Pittsburgh'. It's somehow not what they're expecting but we love it around there. Two of our favourite places we visited were Volant and Harmony, I expect you know them?

      Delete
    3. I took my dog to Gibsonia to be bred. I live in Beaver Falls and yes I am very familiar with Volant and Harmony! Small world!

      Delete
  2. What lovely pictures of Pittsburgh. Makes me want to visit. Best wishes to your son on getting the work he desires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Pittsburgh...I want to live on Herr's Island! You must be very proud of your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very proud, Patty. He is such a good man on top of it!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to Paul. I hope he manages to carve out the career he deserves!
    Thanks for the lovely photos of buildings in Pittsburgh, somehow it doesn't sound like a nice place but obviously it is.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...