'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Antonia, by Willa Cather


A beautiful classic! Wonderful characters! A vivid depiction of the harshness of pioneers lives on the Nebraska prairie in 1890. How they endured I'll never know! Close lifelong friendships, immigrants, differing religions, death in deep winter during a terrible snowstorm. Interesting all the way around. I highly recommend it.
Read about it here
This is available for free in Ebook form here



Published in 1918

This was also made into a movie in 1995 starring Jason Robards and Neil Patrick Harris.

Peggy Ann

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too. I'm reading some of her short stories at the moment, from Project Gutenberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad for ebooks and project gutenburg, Katrina!

      Delete
  2. Hope listening made your driving time fly by. I live in Nebraska and I've never read this - that's embarrassing. :) I'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, I picked it because you and I were tweeting at the moment when I was picking books to check out and I knew you are in Nebraska!

      Delete
  3. I love this book. Particularly Jim's train journey at the beginning - you can feel the burning red dust. My favourite Cather, though, is probably The Professor's House. A wonderful novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to read that one then,Thanks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...