'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hushpuppies and Fritters


Hushpuppies are divine! It was brought to my attention recently from a few of my 'over the pond' friends that hushpuppies are a brand of shoes so what goes here! Yes, we have hushpuppy shoes here too, but you haven't experienced 'comfort' until you've experienced southern hushpuppies!

They are cornmeal dough balls deeped fried. Many stories as to how they got their name. Look here for a nice write up on the different ones and pick the one you like best! There is also another recipe there. There are many variations to hushpuppies. Some put sugar, some don't. Some put onion, some don't. Some put cayenne pepper, some don't. Some roll them in powdered sugar after frying, some don't. But Paula Deen is our queen of southern cooking, so I am posting her recipe.

Hushppuppies
Paula Deen 
 
6 cups peanut oil  (okay to use canola or vegetable oil)
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten

Using a deep pot, preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees F.

Using a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the onion. In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil. Dip the spoon in a glass of water after each hushpuppy is dropped in the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning the hushpuppies during the cooking process.


I got this recipe from Foodnetwork!
Here's a how-to for hushpuppies from Southern Living Magazine
Check this out for a variety of recipes

Then there is Corn Fritters. How are they different from hushpuppies you ask?
There is an on going debate about that. Read this article for one man's view on that subject.

The recipe I use for Corn Fritters does not contain cornmeal, but corn and a little flour. They are so light and delicious I could make a meal on them! I got my recipe from a cookbook I got years ago on a trip to Michigan. Hollyhocks and Radishes by Bonnie Stewart Mickelson.

Feather-Light Corn Fritters

3 tbls. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, separated
1/4 cup of milk
3/4 - 1 cup corn
light vegetable oil

In a medium suze mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.

Beat 2 egg yolks with milk. Stir into flour mixture with a fork, then add corn. If making ahead, refrigerate at this point.

When ready to fry fritters, beat the 2 egg whites until they form soft peaks, and fold into corn mixture.

Pour a 1/2 inch or so of oil into a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot and rippling, drop a few tbls. of batter at a time into oil. Fry until golden brown, turning with a slotted spoon, then drain on paper toweling. Keep warm in oven if necessary.

Of course fresh corn is the best but you can use whatever you have at home. Make sure to drain it well if using canned.

As with hushpuppies these are good dipped in honey!

Enjoy! And stop over at Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking and see what else is cooking!

Peggy Ann

24 comments:

  1. Yum, hushpuppies and fritters, I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hushpuppies and fritters, but rarely get the chance to eat them. Probably because deep frying scares me... have never even tried to do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I don't feel so silly about being afraid of a pressure cooker, JoAnn! The recipe for the fritters says to just use 1/2 inch of oil in a pan and fry, so you might be safe that way. I don't deep fry often anymore but fritters and hushpuppies are worth it once in a while!

      Delete
  3. Now, I didn't know what hushpuppies were - other than the shoes. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I love learning new things thru the world wide web, don't you Carole!

      Delete
  4. Oh, yeah. Coming from Birmingham, Alabama, I love hushpuppies. I don't make them because of the deep frying, but they are heavenly. Used to have fried catfish and hushpuppies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, my husband is flying into Birmingham next week to pick up a car! I'll tell him to eat a hushpuppy for you!

      Delete
  5. I love fritters...summer and corn fritters go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Caite! with fresh corn off the cob, mmm!

      Delete
  6. I'm not an expert on hushpuppies, but I definitely like mine on the spicy/savory side, as opposed to the sweet one. Although, the sweet ones would be good for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them both ways, Janel. Seems to depend on what part of the country your in as to how they cook them.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for explaining that. I had to look up cornmeal, it seems to be what we call 'polenta' in the UK. I fancy giving this a go, but not too often, given the deep frying. It won't be as unhealthy as a deep fried Mars bar though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only live once, Katrina! Go for it. We have polenta here too but it is usually in with the Italian foods section. I always wondered what it was.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love hush puppies, but never tried making them myself.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Peggy,

    Definitely the only variety of 'hushpuppies' I know of here in the UK, are the kind that come in a box and you wear on your feet!

    The closest thing I can think of to your hushpuppies, would be potato fritters, or potato croquettes, although you see neither around on a regular basis any more, as they were long ago deemed to be too unhealthy to be sold many places now and I don't deep fry any food at home.

    http://step-by-step-cook.co.uk/sidedishes/croquettes/

    For a dish that uses the same ingredients as your own, which seems to be basically a flour dough, then I guess the UK equivalent might be the 'dumpling', which is traditionally served with a beef stew.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefstewwithdumpling_87333

    We used to have them as good fillers when we were children and I loved them. Once again, we don't see them around much these days because of health issues as they are quite heavy and stodgy and also because hubbie can't stand them!!

    We both love trying local food when w visit new places, so who knows, one day we might get to taste traditionally made 'hushpuppies', thanks for sharing.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links, Yvonne! A hushpuppie really is just cornbread in a ball. And we have dumplings here too and I love them! The older I get, the less heavy fried foods agree with me. We only have them on occasion. I love local foods too. I usually buy a cookbook with regional recipes in them when we travel. Some of my favorites were found that way:)

      Delete
  10. I've never tried making fritters, but when I'm in the South, I always order them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have them near enough, Beth. I don't fry much anymore. Not because of health issues, (I have lots of hillbilly relatives that lived on fried food and lived to be old healthy people) but I hate 'greasing up' the kitchen:)

      Delete
  11. Hushpuppies are for the feet here in Australia too, our cuisine differences make me laugh. I can remember asking a US exchange student if he wanted a sloppy joe as it would be cold out, he said sloppy joe's were a mince (ground beef) on a burger bun. Sloppy Joe in Australia is a jumper or sweater lol.

    The closest thing I've seen to these hushpuppies is a potato gem but I'm always up for trying new things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned something new today too! Did not know a sloppy joe was a sweater in Australia! Thanks for stopping by and sharing that, Teddyree!

      Delete
  12. This is totally the kind of cooking my southern husband likes! I grew up outside Philadelphia but have been in Florida for over 30 years now. I love grits, hush puppies and catfish - great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in FL, Pierce. Cocoa on the east coast. My moms family are from TN. My PA. Born and bred husband about died the first time I gave him grits but now he loves them! I don't eat catfish though:(

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...