'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Author Iain Banks Cancer Diagnosis


Sad News today...Scottish author Iain Banks new book, The Quarry, coming out this year, will be his last. Iain has just announced he has months to live. He is diagnosed with late stage gall bladder cancer.  Read his announcement here. Read article about Iain in the Guardian here.

Banks wrote fiction under the name Iain Banks and science fiction under the name Iain M. Banks. I read The Crow Road a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. It was also made into a film.  Here is a link to a bibliography of Iain's work. The Quarry is set in Northumberland and will now be available in June!



6 comments:

  1. It's very sad about Iain. He and Ken (MacLeod) are always very friendly whenever you meet them. I haven't read anything of Iain's for ages but I did enjoy The Crow Road and Espedair Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you got to see him around town? How wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Sad news. I haven't read anything by him but he's a well known author that I've seen on the TV many times. I bought one of his sci fi books to read a couple of months ago and plan to read some of his non-sci-fi books at some stage too. Such a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine knowing all of a sudden that you only have months to live, Cath! He must be brave.

      Delete
  3. I am so very sorry to read this. I've not read any of his fiction, though I own The Crow Road. But what I did read, twice, is Raw Spirit his true tale of traveling around the Scottish whisky distilleries. This is what I wrote in my book journal:
    "The book is subtitled In Search Of The Perfect Dram. This book will appeal to - the whisky fan, the fan of author Banks' fiction work, and then me, who is neither one. Yet I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was like sitting in the living room (or at a bar!) with him. The writing is rambling, his thoughts seem to be written as he thinks them. What I like especially is his passion- for life, for Scotland, for whisky, for cars, for music, for fun."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan! I'll have to look for this book. I love Scotland and do enjoy a dram every now and then!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...