'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, April 26, 2013

A Few Reads From Last Week


Last week I read and half read three books...

The Cape Ann by Faith Sullivan
I have had this on my shelf for sometime and looked forward to reading it. I love houses as a central character in a book. I just couldn't get interested in this one. It is set in the great depression and told by 6 yr. old Lark. Her mother is saving for a down payment on a house. I didn't 'bond' with any of the characters and wasn't drawn in by Lark's narrative. I gave up at chapter 11 and moved on to something else. Must be something wrong with me because the reviews on Goodreads were all excellent for this little book. Maybe it was just me and the mood I was in or something. I'll hang onto it and maybe try again another day.

A Son of the Rock by Jack Deighton   1997
from the back of the book:
The Rock stands alone, untouched, towering over a massive quarry on a desolate mining planet. Sonny has devoted his life to it, protecting it, respecting it, worshiping it.
When Alan, a young and ambitious mining engineer, stumbles across Sonny and this primitive and, to Alan, repellent life-style, it is an encounter that will profoundly change him. for sonny is an old man, his past etched in every line of his face, and soon he will die of old age. Alan has his own reasons for not taking the  youth drug, Euthuol, but it is Sonny, the Rock and Alan's beautiful, female companion who give shape to them. And all three will haunt him for the rest of his life.

This novel is written by a friend of mine's husband! I have never read science fiction before as it has never really appealed to me, not even in movie form. But I had to read this since I know Jack. I thought it was very well written and took a look at some very important issues - intolerance, prejudice, what would happen if we didn't age, our use/misuse of our resources and cultural colonization (imposing a culture by force and occupation or slow creeping replacement of a native culture). I don't think I'm a very good candidate to 'review' this book as I know nothing about science fiction so I'm going to direct you here and here for a review!

If you'd like to obtain a copy you can go here or here or here
It is no longer in print.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I listened to the audio version of this book while traveling. I did enjoy it. So many wonderful reviews have been done of this classic I will just leave it at that! I will read more Charlotte Bronte!

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, you had a busy reading week. I like the sound of the science fiction novel, so will check that out later. And Jane Eyre? Perfection. Though I've not read it since I was 16 so possibly I should read it again to see if I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 12 hr. road trip down and 12 hrs. back really helped with the amount reading I got done, Cath! Thank goodness for audio books, I get car sick if I read in the car. Hubby does all the driving and I just sit there, very hard for me to do:) If you order A Son of the Rock, ordering from Jack's website will get you one from his stockpile at home! Tell him to sign it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...