'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, March 2, 2013

Whiskey Chicken


Once again a recipe from the Real Irish Food Cookbook by David Bowers that I wrote about a couple weeks ago.

Whiskey Chicken
400* oven
                                                                 
1 2 to 2 1/2 lb. roasting chicken
1/4 cup butter softened
salt & pepper
1 lemon
3 tbls. whiskey
1/2 cup heavy cream

Rub chicken all over with softened butter and squeeze lemon juices over it. Put lemon rinds inside chicken cavity. Salt and pepper chicken liberally inside and out.

Put chicken in cast iron skillet or roasting pan and roast until golden brown and crisp 1 hr. Or until internal thermometer reads 180*

Carve the bird, place on a warmed platter. Spoon off visible fat from drippings in pan. Set pan over medium heat and pour whiskey in pan. Let heat for a minute then set match to edge of pan or tip away from you to flame on gas stove. The warmed whiskey will light and burn out quickly.

Pour in the cream and heat through stirring to scrape up any bits. Pour sauce over chicken and serve at once.

This turned out beautiful! I could have eaten the sauce by the spoonful! There was a wonderful subtle lemon flavor in the chicken and the sauce. From now on this is the way I am roasting a chicken!

We also had mashed carrots and parsnips, also from the above cookbook. Just cook carrots and parsnips together and mash with a potato masher or fork and add butter. Very nice.

I have not used cast iron much in the past but in the last year have started cooking quite a bit with it. Mom passed on her old skillet and bought me a new very large one so I could make more for her to eat too! I would never have thought of cooking a roast chicken in a iron skillet but it was great.


This post is linked to Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking.



Peggy Ann

13 comments:

  1. I picked this book up from the library after reading your earlier post. This is one of the recipes I have marked to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will become a favorite, JoAnn!

      Delete
  2. What a nice twist on roasted chicken. I'm sure that sauce was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scraping the scraps out of the skillet before I washed it and moaning with delight!

      Delete
  3. I've had this cookbook on my list since you first talked about it. That chicken sounds so simple and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fantastic for St. Patty's Day- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be Diane! Since cornbeef isn't even Irish! Have Colcannon with it and the parsnips and carrot mash and its traditional Irish food!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, this sounds spectacular. I'm going to see if my library has this cookbook for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is spectacular, Sprung! If your library doesn't have it make sure and check on their interstate loans!

      Delete
  6. That sounds delicious and easy to prepare too. I'm printing this recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've cooked lemon chicken before but never in a skillet, must give it a go - and that whisky sauce too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This chicken sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...