'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, March 14, 2013

Google Reader Alternatives


Google is shutting down it's popular RSS reader tool, Google Reader on July 1st. Lots of people are wondering what they are going to do to continue following all the sites they love. Here are a few alternatives to check out. I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but then I don't use Google Reader much as it is. Hope you find something that will work for you!

Feedly
The better way to organize, read and share the content of your favorite sites.

The Old Reader
the ultimate social RSS reader. It's just like the old Google reader, only better. We're in beta right now, but we're constantly working on improvements and new features. 

Taptu
Taptu provides instant access to all your interests in one beautiful little app

NewsBlur
 
Digg has plans to build a new tool

Message from Google about the coming change:
We know Reader has a devoted following who will be very sad to see it go. We’re sad too. There are two simple reasons for this: usage of Google Reader has declined, and as a company we’re pouring all of our energy into fewer products. We think that kind of focus will make for a better user experience. To ensure a smooth transition, we’re providing a three-month sunset period so you have sufficient time to find an alternative feed-reading solution. If you want to retain your Reader data, including subscriptions, you can do so through Google Takeout.

Hope this helps!

Peggy Ann

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I understand exactly what's happening. When I go to my dashboard all the blogs I follow are there for me to scroll through and read. Is that what's going? There's also a button which says, 'View in Google Reader' which I've never used. So I have no idea whether I'll be affected by this or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest with you Cath, I'm quite confused about it myself. I know on my google homepage is the reader and all the blogs I follow are there but I never look there. Like you I see them on my dashboard. I know several people that use reader that are upset about it going. So I don't know if everything will disappear from our dashboard or not. I'm sure people use reader that don't have a blog of their own so maybe that's all the difference and those of us who have a blogger blog will be okay. Just those that don't might not be. I'll do some investigating and let you know what I find out.

      Delete
  2. My alternative is my own bloglist on the sidebar. I can see who has posted and when and even the subject. It has served me well all these years. An alternative for people who aren't bloggers is to just keep a bookmark of the blogs they like, and pop in occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the blog list on the bottom of my blog and that's is how I visit too. I don't have the post title like you do though, Nan and I can see how helpful that is in keeping track of who post new stuff!

      Delete
  3. I use Google Reader every day, so I was a bit bothered when I read yesterday that Google Reader is shutting down. I get so used to using something that a change is annoying. I know I could use my own blog list but that doesn't let me know when a blogger has published a post and as I spend too much time on the computer already I don't want to spend even more time checking for new posts that may or may not be there.

    I've looked at Feedly and it may be OK, but it will take me time to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Feedly looked the most promising too, Margaret. I'm wondering if the google follow me friend connect will disappear too on July 1st since that's how the blogs get on my reader as it is. Like you I'm on there way too much to be having to figure this out too!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...