'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cast Iron Skillet Pizza


Oh my gosh this is so good and so easy! Never would I have thought I would be making pizza in my cast iron skillet! You have to try it!


Perfect Pizza Crust
(from Cooks Illustrated)
1 1/4 tsp instant or active dry yeast
1 cup water, slightly warm or room temperature
1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 oz) all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1 cup (4 oz) cake flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar

Combine yeast and water and stir to dissolve.

Combine flours, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to blend. With the motor running, stream in water/yeast mixture. Continue to process for 1-2 minutes, until dough becomes smooth and satiny. Add an extra tablespoon of flour if the dough becomes too sticky .

Divide dough into two and shape each piece into a tight ball. Place on a lightly floured surface and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap or a clean dish towel. Let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

see photos of dough process here

Assemble pizza toppings...                         

Sauce
Garlic powder & Italian seasoning
Pepperoni
Pancetta
Mild Banana Peppers
Mushrooms
Mozzarella cheese, grated
Whatever you like on your pizza!

This pizza cooking process is very rapid, so it helps to have everything prepared in advance.

Place an oven rack as close as possible to your broiler.  Try sliding in your cast iron skillet to make sure you have enough space.  You want your skillet to be as close to the broiler as possible, but you will still need a little room to maneuver the pan.

Turn the broiler on high and preheat a dry, ungreased cast iron skillet on the stove top on the highest setting for 10 minutes.  Once you begin heating the skillet, lightly flour a wood cutting board or pizza peel (it will stick to plastic! don't recommend it).

With about four minutes of skillet heating remaining, begin putting your pizza together.  Stretch the dough into a disk approximate the size of your cast iron skillet (or a little smaller).  The disk should be thinner in the middle and slightly thicker around the edges.  Lay the disk on the floured cutting board.  Lightly sauce your dough and sprinkle on a thin layer of shredded mozzarella.  Season with oregano, salt and freshly ground pepper.  Lightly dust the top with grated Parmesan cheese and finish with a thin drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

Slide the pizza into the skillet.  This part of the recipe is tricky.  Definitely use a floured wooden pizza spatula or cutting board so it will slide off easy. I didn't and had a really hard time getting it in the pan!  Practice is the key to getting this down.  Your first attempt might not be perfect.  Do not try to fix the pizza once it hits the skillet.  Just keep going.  Your pizza might look messy, but it will still taste delicious.

As soon as your pizza is in the skillet, immediately transfer the skillet to the preheated broiler.  Close the oven door quickly.  After 45 seconds, rotate the skillet 180 degrees.  After a minute and a half, check your pizza.  You will know it is done when the crust looks lightly charred.  Transfer pizza to a cutting board or plate and let cool slightly.  Top with torn basil leaves, slice and enjoy!

Makes 2 pizza

The dough recipe is from Cooks Illustrated and the instructions for the skillet cooking part is from Kitchen Konfidence. I found this recipe on several sites thru pinterest but liked these instructions the best. I found instructions which are quite different @ King Arthur Flour's website I have not made it this way yet though.

This post is linked to Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking!

12 comments:

  1. Homemade pizza is just the best! I've made pizza in my Lodge skillet and thought it was good. A bit bread-heavy though for me. I guess I'm a thin-crust pizza lover. I use KA's website all the time for recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We prefer thin crust too. But pizza is good no matter what! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love a good pizza, it's one of life's great pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Diane, one of life's great pleasures!

      Delete
  3. We grill our pizza -- I never thought of making it in a cast iron pan. I bet the crust comes out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grilled is on my-to-do list Beth!

      Delete
  4. This looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Diane. Even though my first attempt was very messy looking! Next time I'll be a pro though.

      Delete
  5. Amazing - I NEVER would have thought of using a cast iron skillet! Must give this a try, thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't ruin it, JoAnn, no matter what it taste good! I think the key is the skillet really being hot hot hot!

      Delete
  6. You're the second person tempting me this week with homemade pizza. This sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. now you have me wanting to make pizza. mine will be without cheese though, so lots of flavourful topping required.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...