'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Sunday, February 24, 2013

Farmhouse Vegetable Soup


This is a recipe out of the cookbook, Real Irish Food, I highlighted in a Weekend Cooking post a few weeks ago. I made it for dinner tonight and it was easy, inexpensive and delicious.

Farmhouse Vegetable Soup                     

2 tbls. butter
2 medium onions chopped
3 stalks celery thinly sliced
4 lg. russet potatoes peeled and diced
2 lg. carrots diced
2 qts. chicken stock or vegetable stock for vegetarians
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
salt and pepper

Croutons

Heat butter in large heavy soup pot over medium heat.
Stir in onions and celery, put lid on pot, cook covered 6-7 min. so they steam not brown.

Add carrots and potatoes, stock, thyme & sage. Bring to a boil, cover loosely and simmer 20-25 min. until tender. Add peas last 5 min.

Add cream if using, salt and pepper and puree soup leaving visible chunks.

To serve top with croutons


I am so enjoying making soup in my new cast iron dutch oven! It's made by Lodge and everybit as lovely and well made as the more expensive Le Creust brand and half the price.
It cleans up with just a wipe. It comes in blue, red, green, pumpkin, burgundy and brown. I wanted red, but it cost more when I got it so I got the blue. Now the blue is more than the red, go figure!

I got it thru Amazon and the shipping was free when I got it.

Lodge Color EC6D43 Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Island Spice Red, 6-Quart



This post is linked to Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads

8 comments:

  1. Your soup would be ideal for for this rainy Florida day. I love vegetable soup and make it often, my mom's recipe. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Dutch oven. It's just the color I'd want, too! The soup looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blue pot! And the recipe looks wonderful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup sounds amazing. I can eat soup any time of the year. I'm swooning over your dutch oven. How many quarts is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 Qts. Angela. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Love the new Dutch Oven! I've never cooked in cast iron but everyone raves about it. I need a cast-iron pan for camping but not sure I want to put that beautiful pot on a campfire. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, there is a smaller, 5 qt.pan too that is not enamel coated. I saw it at Wal-mart here. Amazon has it too though.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...