'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, January 25, 2013

It's Virginia Woolf's Birthday!


Happy Birthday Virginia!


I have never read anything by her so to celebrate her birthday I got her first novel! And you can too!



First published in 1915, The Voyage Out is Virginia Woolf's first novel. It begins as Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose embark on a sea voyage for South America. Throughout their voyage and once they reach land there are many characters that float in and out of the text. Indeed, one is not sure who the main characters are until halfway through the novel. Clarissa and Richard Dalloway, the main characters of Woolf's later novel Mrs. Dalloway, even make an appearance.... Finish reading HERE

Get a digital copy free at girliebooks

Interested in learning more about her check here and here.

Eat a piece of cake today!

Peggy Ann

4 comments:

  1. I've read most (all?) her works and her diaries and I hope you will énjoy them as much as I did A fascinating woman and so tragic. My favourite book - read at the impressionable age of 19 - was A Room of One's Own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thanks for stopping by! I've heard so many mixed reviews on Woolf that I've put off reading her. But this book is at the top of my list, this is the year! I love your word blog!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post. I have not read any books by Woolf either, and this year I already have too many books planned to read ... But this is a good suggestion. The Girl eBooks site is very interesting also. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some serious reading. Not sure I'm up to it at the moment, but I have a tough time passing up a free book. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...