'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Midweek Moan

I recently discovered audio books. I'm on my 4th book now. I listen to them in the car. II thoroughly enjoy them. It does tend to make it rough on any passengers I have though, as I really don't want them to talk!

Each one has had a different reader. And each reader is so different! One had beautiful, soft, mood-setting music. David Suchet read the Hercule Poirot book. That was very nice. He has a perfect voice for reading. Judith Ivy is reading the book I'm listening to now, Sue Miller's 'The World Below'. Wonderful reader! I would have to say so far it is a tie between her and Peter Coyote. He has a wonderful voice and reads beautifully!

Here's a nice site to have a look at all about audio books and readers or narrators as they refer to them.

But here's my moan, the reader, Kate Reading (how appropriate!), on 'Death in Paradise' by Carolyn Hart changed her voice every time she read dialogue. If it was a man speaking she made her voice deep and gruff and slightly different for every character. Changed it for each female too. It drove me nuts! It was very distracting and I almost quit reading the book because of it. Next time I pick up a book I will most definitely check the readers name and if it's her - I won't get it!

What are your thoughts on audio book readers? Do you have a favorite? What's your moan today?

blog signature

6 comments:

  1. I have yet to try audio...I just am not sure that I can listen to a book. But I know tons of readers who love them!

    And now I add you to my list of audiophiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, I felt the same way but stuck one in that my brother was getting rid of and I loved it. Not sure about around the house 'cause I might be to distracted but in the car it's great!

      Delete
  2. I love audio books and always have one going in my car, and sometimes on my iPod as well. Some of my favorite readers are: Scott Brick, Cassandra Campbell, Bronson Pinchot, Barbara Rosenblat and Jim Dale for starters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Diane that's a big list for starters! You do read a lot of audio books!

      Delete
  3. I've never listened to an audio book either, I must try it one day. I'm told Stephen Fry is good with the Harry Potter books, and I believe Tony Robinson does Terry Pratchett well, so I would like to hear both of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love Stephen Fry as a reader! I just finished watching the Kingdom series on Netflix. Loved it and him! He has a nice voice that would be soothing.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...