'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, November 3, 2012

There's Trouble Brewing by Nicholas Blake

Book description from jacket cover:
Nigel is lecturing the Maiden Astbury Literary Society on modern poets when he's buttonholed by Eustace Bunnett, the local brewery owner, on quite another subject. Bunnett, a mean and vindictive man, wants to know who murdered Truffles, his fox terrier, by hurling him into an open brewery vat. As Nigel tours the brewery the next day, he makes a gruesome discovery - a half disjointed skeleton simmering in the very same vat. Keys, jewelry and false teeth all identify the victim as Bunnett himself! Everyone, from his browbeaten family to his overworked employees, had reason to hate Eustace Bunnett. But only one hated him enough to kill!

My first Nigel Strangeways mystery. A fun cozy, decent plot with twists and turns and fun characters. Several good suspects. I did figure out who did it, but the how had a nice little twist to it. I did not get to meet Nigel's wife, Georgia, in this story as she was 'out of town' when he embarked on this adventure. I am looking forward to meeting her in the next one!

Book quotes:
'I don't believe in justice in the abstract. Some crimes are 'just' and some actions are criminal. I suppose I do it because criminal investigation gives one an unique opportunity of studying people in the nude, so to speak. People involved in a case - particularly murder - are always on the alert, on the defensive, and it's when they're trying to cover up one part of their mind that they expose the rest. Even quite normal people start behaving in the most abnormal way.'

'Nigel watched Mr. Grimshaw with fascination: his ears wiggled as he talked, which drew attention to the ginger colored hair that sprouted out of them; he also had a habit of munching before every sentence, as though the words would sound better if they were chewed up small.'

'Have some more beer?'

I recommend you grab a beer or a cuppa tea and curl up with a Nicholas Blake novel soon, you won't be sorry!

Peggy Ann

9 comments:

  1. Love seeing Nicholas Blake reviewed! And so glad you liked it. These books are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library doesn't have too many of them but I can get them from inter-library loan and keep my eye out in used book stores! Thanks for stopping by Bev!

      Delete
  2. I've kind of given up on cozies bevause they tend to be slow, but this sounds like fun, well plotted version. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too Tami, but this was good. I'm not sure if they really classify this as a cozy but I think it meets all the criteria for one.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I looked up NB, and was so surprised to read that it was the pen name for Cecil Day-Lewis! You may have already read this but here is a nice piece:

    http://www.ruemorguepress.com/authors/blake.html

    I put up a great quote of his daughter's on the blog a few years back:

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2008/04/quote-du-jourtamasin-day-lewis.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did know he was Cecil Day-Lewis, Nan. I researched him when looking for authors born in Scotland or Ireland for the Vintage Mystery Challenge. Thanks for the great links though!

      Delete
  4. I have read a lot of this series years and years ago, but have forgotten much of it, and I want to revisit the series. And see if I like it as well the 2nd time around. Glad you liked it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How in the world do you have time to re-read books Tracy with so many new ones to read!

      Delete
  5. Hi Peggy Ann - hope you had a nice break. Your idea for the solution isn't quite right - case is part of it (but how do you reflect the reference to hospital?) The solution will be popping up in about an hour so you will see what I mean. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...